Top Shelf Aquatics

Crushed coral?

TSUcowgirl

Now, is it just me, or is this stuff out of date?

When I did my first SW [years 'n years ago] it was all the rage at my local fish store...guess not anymore?

Does LS present a problem clogging filters and powerheads?

If so, how the heck are y'all takin' care of it?

lol

BTW. I post'd muh picture on the picture threat. Hehehe. Enjoy.

xoxox,

The [sandy] Cowgirl.

live sand is not going to pose any problems with clogging filters or powerheads.

I prefer the look of finer grade sand (southdown) and my sand bed critters appear to be very content.

I am using 10 lbs of Natures Ocean Live sand and 10 lbs of crushed coral. The crushed coral has a large buffering capability so I figured if everyone is having trouble keeping their ph and calcium levels right, I need all the help I can get. My inhabitance seem to like the sand, my goby sifts through mouthfulls all day. No clogging problems, unless maybe you disturbe large amounts of sand and cloud the whole tank up.

I just use a couple of handfuls of crushed coral around my pistol shrimps den, the rest is oolite. Seems to appreciate the varying substrate sizes to build with.

MrConclusion

To answer your question though, crushed coral has fallen FAR from its preferred position of 10 years ago. Especially with the availability of clean, high-grade sand and also various brands of live-sand-in-a-bag.

Sandy, are you using, or thinking of using, an under gravel filter? If so, don't; they have grown out of favor. Instead, use 1.5lbs of LR for each gallon of water for your biological filter. A power HOB filter (without its sponges and cartridges) is fine, if not recommended. I run SeaGel (a mix of carbon and phosphate remover) as a chemical filter in my HOB. Add additional powerheads to increase your flow to 10 to 30 times per gallon and you should be OK.

Archived