inTank Media Baskets

Anemone or memimonee??

JohnnyMTB

Can anyone ID this guy? He's about the size of a dime now and he's mobile, he's moved from hole to hole in the LR a couple of times now. Looks like the flower anemone in Borneman's Practical Guide but it definately doesn't have that coloration. Thanks in advance.

BTW Caja- like the skirt!!

Here you can see where it's moved from hole to hole in the liverock.

(can't find that old picture thread, made me spit coffee on my keyboard, think it was an ESPI thing)

JohnnyMTB,

That is the way to work a thread.....

Ask the question...

Post the pick.....

Do the research....

answer the question......

You forgot to thank, all your fellow reefers for their help...

Well here ya go Dickie:

The Flower Anemone, also known as the Rock Anemone, is a member of the Phymanthidae family. Originating from the Caribbean, these anemones are found in a wide array of colors, with the oral disc often being a different color than the rest of the anemone. The oral disc lacks tentacles, and the tentacles are often beaded in appearance.

The Flower Anemone can live singly or in groups. They prefer to live on shaded, vertical rock walls, or within the substrate. They will bury most of their body in the sand, with only the oral disc and tentacles showing. These are fairly hardy anemones that will adapt to a wide variety of lighting conditions. These anemones tend not to wander about the aquarium and are a great addition to a reef aquarium.

The Flower Anemone is a carnivore, and requires meaty foods to survive. Offer mussels and freshly chopped fish meat, as well as high quality frozen foods. Adding iodine and trace elements to the aquarium will help the Flower Anemone thrive.

My flower anemone will accept supplemental food, but has been doing fine with indirect lighting. I do have a commensal spotted anemone shrimp with it, but I'm not sure if it actually brings food to it. they get kinda big (mine is now 5" across) but don't sting anything or send out sweepers.

Lucky you. My hitchhiker anemone turned out to be a "pretty" Aptasia. It's still pretty though.

Hot purple, with greenish-white stripes and mouth. It's still an aptasia though, and it's days might be numbered (unless it makes purple babies, in which case, I'll be creating an artful name and selling them on ebay).

-Sumbel.

No picture. It's pretty far back in the tank, and fairly small (about 1/2" fully opened and extended). Whenever I get my 35mm "normal" camera repaired, I'll take some shots.

It really is pretty cool. The only problem is that it keeps stealing food (and pods) from around it. a: I'm afraid it'll over eat b: It's being kind of annoying, c: the pepp would never touch it, even when it first sprouted. Kinda makes me worry.

-Sumbel.

Archived