Coral Vue Hydros

Tuning a Protein Skimmer

Nick's Reef

Ok this may sound like a noob questions and I'm getting really frustrated. I got a noname hob skimmer from scottyreef today. I put it my ap24 and turned it on. I got bubbles just barely spewing over into the collection cup. But also there seems to be alot of water in the collecton cup. I played with the venturi a bit and either there isn't enough air or it's perfect like now. There is also a ball valve on the pump. I'm going to play with this next put it's very hard to turn so I have to unplug the skimmer and take off the pump and turn it with a pair of pliers. I think I may have gotten it right but I'll have to check that I haven't overflowed the collection cup with water. I've never had a skimmer before so I'm new to the whole thing. I've helpped my dad tune his Red Sea berlin turbo but the only thing I had to adjust on his was the venturis. I know this skimmer can pull some gunk out since when I got it it had dried skimmate in the neck on the cup.

Any help is greatly apperciated! :)

well, i played with it somemore and got it to where not as much water was coming into the cup but there after an hour it's maybe 1/8 full an it has a huge collection cup.

HecticDialectics

sounds like you're on the right track...

you don't want the break level where the bubbles pop right at the top of the neck unless you want very wet skimmate. Just keep lowering it till it looks good. It depends a lot on the skimmer too. On some skimmers, you can adjust input flow, output flow, and air level until the skimmate looks nice n yummy.

sounds like you're on the right track...

you don't want the break level where the bubbles pop right at the top of the neck unless you want very wet skimmate. Just keep lowering it till it looks good. It depends a lot on the skimmer too. On some skimmers, you can adjust input flow, output flow, and air level until the skimmate looks nice n yummy.

Ok I think I need to lower the about of flow coming in, thanks for the help. When I first turned it on it was just below the top of the neck and I let it run like that and I was getting very very light green and watery skimmate after maybe 10min but it was filling up very fast alswell.

Nick-

how everything going with the skimmer? it will take a bit of time for it to break in and if your in the DIY mood i would recommend that you find a MJ 400 or 600 and do a needle wheel or mesh upgrade check out mr fosi thread on it. I really think that it would make that skimmer really foam up. its got a huge reaction chamber just make sure that you dont use a bigger mj because i think that i wouldnt be able to handle a whole lot of extra flow

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=164680&hl

I'm fairly new to the skimmer game myself. I was running my 29 gallon (lightly stocked) for several months but since then I've started accumulating corals so I decided that a skimmer was in order. I must have been a little *too newb since I got a seaclone 100... (only paid $50, but still) I've done all the modding I can and it takes about 2 days to pull 1/4 inch of okay looking skimmate. The problem with my skimmer though is that I can't get the foam up high enough to spill into the collection cup even though I shortened the neck 1"... It's just a super weak skimmer even with the maxi-jet. (btw, I tried the needlewheel mod and I would recommend not doing it unless it's a spare pump... My troubles came when I tried to find a good glue to mount the needle wheel to the impeller. Nothing would stick for more than a few hours).

Also, don't forget that pictures are your friend! Why don't you post some eh? Good luck.

Ok, as Scotty knows the skimmer had a leak where the input pipe connected to the body. Fixed that and put it on my tank yesterday, got the bubbles coming 1/2 up the neck and getting nice green tea colored skimmate. I'm wet skimming for now as from what I've read it pulls out the most nutrients and I won't have salt for a wc for atleast another week cause I ran out.

Archived