Pod Your Reef

RO/DI containers, saltwater mixing containers.

Moo.H

I'm setting up my RO/DI soon and wanted to know the best way to store and mix water.

I was thinking of getting a huge rubbermaid trash can and using that to collect the pure water, then getting

something smaller to mix small amounts of saltwater in a few days prior to WC's.

How are you guys storing/mixing your water?

i use the 5gal buckets from home depot for mixing saltwater, the clear ones have gals marked on it. I use a 20gal rubber trash can for storing RO water. Just gotta watch the rubber trash cans though.

same water as stevie t for me

i keep it all stored in an 18 gal rubbermaid tub with a powerhead and heater on at all times

and another pump hooked up to some pvc that reaches around the top of my tank so all i gotta do is just turn that pump on to get new fresh saltwater

same water as stevie t for me

i keep it all stored in an 18 gal rubbermaid tub with a powerhead and heater on at all times

and another pump hooked up to some pvc that reaches around the top of my tank so all i gotta do is just turn that pump on to get new fresh saltwater

That's a neat idea!

make sure your using a food grade rubber maid trash can such as the Brute Container to store your water. Other cans will leak the color etc in your water.

I buy reef salt by the bucket and not per bag. I use them as storage containers since I only lift 5 gallons at a time. Buying big containers would be ideal but you still have to distribute the water so a large container with a valve or faucer on the bottom is ideal. I found out that using a 2 gallon bucket with a powerful powerhead like550gph will mix my water well within 5 to 10 minutes. I do not follow the overnight mixing with a powerhead rule. I add right away. I never experienced a tank crash or anything on five tanks.

Lately I purchased a 40 breeder. Added water directly to the tank and salt and mixed with 3 powerheads. It took a full day to mix. I prefer mixing with a small bucket.

is there a time limit to how long freshwater or saltwater should be stored in the containers???

I'm considering a small 30 gallon container for freshwater, and a small 10gallon+/- for saltwater.

Would like to find a container with wheels or something. The distance from my wash room (where the ro/di is located) to the tank is about 50 feet...thats a lot of walking back and forth with water.

That's a neat idea!

Yeah it really makes things so easy, it pumps water back in pretty slow so its not a rush of difference to keep corals and the fish at ease

All i do is siphon out and flick a switch done and done

a few of you mentioned the rubber containers...

what about the hard plastic ones? (the type from lowes)

will these leech chems into the water???

I don't have a need for 2 huge containers....

NanoReefNovice
is there a time limit to how long freshwater or saltwater should be stored in the containers???

I'm considering a small 30 gallon container for freshwater, and a small 10gallon+/- for saltwater.

Would like to find a container with wheels or something. The distance from my wash room (where the ro/di is located) to the tank is about 50 feet...thats a lot of walking back and forth with water.

Not a general rule to how long. You want to keep it dark, and aerated. If it smells bad then its gone bad.

kevin, how far are you pumping? What pump are you using.

I've considered this in the past, but the larger pumps are flippin expensive. plus plumbing...yikes..

then getting

something smaller to mix small amounts of saltwater in a few days prior to WC's.

How much to you need to do a WC? If it's 2 gallons or less, I love using the 2 gal culligan dispenser. Had a large opening on top (to drop heater and pump in) and the a spout to dispense. I suck 2 gal out then set the dispenser on the side of the tank and open it up. Works great for me, but if you are doing bigger WC the pump method is the only way to go. Horsing a 5 gallon bucket up and over the top of the tank, then trying to pour in without causing a sandstorm is a mess.

When I used a pump to change, would just drop a cheap pump in the newly mixed SW container, bought some vinyl tubing from lowes that fit the output of the pump and plugged it in. Took a matter of seconds.

Archived