Cultivated Reef

coraline algae

waveman216

harbingerofthefish

well I guess it couldn't hurt.

i have a 7 w/32 watts and slow corraline growth.

A friend has a 75 with 3 MH and 03 suplements with slow corraline growth.

Like most algae, it will adapt to the enviroment. Like if I trew a MH on my tank, the corraline I have would probally die off, but slowly adjust and adapt and grow back.

corralline grows faster in darker areas. case in point, my fuge has been running without the jalli (one more appliance and the whole building will go dark) the fuge itself gets light from the halides but the third chamber is in the dark and covered with pink and green corralline.

the main tank is lit up light baghdad in the midst of shock and awe and the one dark corner has green corralline patches.

I think, and can definitly be wrong, that Coraline growth increases with high Calcium levels, 380-400. I have only had my tank set up about a month and my Coraline is really starting to grow.

Well I've got high calcium levels (around 400). I'm wondering because I haven't had much growth in my 10 gal, so I just added a 96W PC. Was using a 32W. Hmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with that drunken water change I did with tap water last weekend. It's always fun to wake up the next day, remember what you did, and find out your alkalinity if unmeasurably high.

harbingerofthefish

Although I don't have a lot of light in my tank, the corraline that is "new" growth (not old stuff starting to grow) is on the back glass and on the tops of my PHs. In full direct light.

this is the purple kind.

I do have what looks like some green growing in some of the more lightless areas.

But as ESPI pointed out a hile ago, there are umpteen kinds of corraline algae. So it's need can probally vary.

But yeah, calcium seems to be the growth factor.

Archived