Coral Vue Hydros

high phosphate/ calcium hardness

scubagrl

I am on day 3 of starting a 24g nanocube. The LR was pulled from a mature (1 1/2 yo) tank that has had no issues. My substrate is tahitian moon sand. All other parameters measure well for a "new" tank-

temp 79.6

Sg 1.024

ammonia .25

nitrites 0

nitrates 10

calcium 400

The phosphates are 2 and the calcium hardness is literally off of the charts! (17dkh). I tested the water that was used to mix the saltwater and the phosphates were about .5 and the dkh was 6. I used instant ocean salt which has never given me any trouble. My filtration is LR rubble in the 1st back chamber and cheato in the center. Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!

Are you using tapwater to mix your water with?

No- I used what was advertised at the grocery as RO water- but seems to have too much junk in it to be RO. Do you think the water could cause that? Should I do a big water change?

Yes and Yes.

Grocery stores are known to be bad about not changing their filters often enough in their RO machines.

Try using distilled instead until you are able to get an RO/DI unit of your own.

Before I was able to get my own RO/DI, I used Wal-Mart Distilled water.

Yes and Yes.

Grocery stores are known to be bad about not changing their filters often enough in their RO machines.

Try using distilled instead until you are able to get an RO/DI unit of your own.

Before I was able to get my own RO/DI, I used Wal-Mart Distilled water.

Thank you for the info- I was just stuck as to what could be causing this!

No prob.

Odds are really good that your source water is causing this.

Make sure you don't have an out of date test kit as well.

Look at it this way, at least you caught it early before you started putting livestock in there!

I bought grocery water for 2 months before I got my ro/di unit. I should have started sooner. If you plan to do this hobby for the long term you should get one. The grocery water money adds up quick.

Thanks for all of the replies! How large of a water change? 50%? I will have to look for a RO/DI unit. Until then I guess I am off to Walmart for distilled!

Archived