Coral Vue Hydros

2X65PC + 70W MH enough for SPS and clam?

blk_g20

The halides in the canopy are on a 65, and I have a pair of 4" IceCap fans inthe hood and a 6" clip on fan blowing across the sump.

Yeah, i know: big difference from the nano.

32 is more than enough... But in all honesty you dont even need actinic lights either, I just prefer them, if you get 10k's, if you get a 20k MH I would suggest getting some 10k lights, because 20k's look too blue...

another questions is whether i'm able to place the PC bulb right by the MH bulb and use the same reflector. is would that be too hot for safe operation of the PC bulb. thanks

If you're keeping a clam you should use 6,500ºK to 10,000ºK lamps not 20,000ºK lamps as that may cause bleaching of the clam.

able to place the PC bulb right by the MH bulb and use the same reflector
Yes, but it would be better to separate them so that you can get better lamp life but it should be okay to put them together (but not too close). MH lamps run better hot while fluorescents run better at room temperature. Cooling the MH lamp shortens it's lamp life. Running fluorecent at higher temperatures shortens it's lamp life. But not a big deal.

i found a setup forsale in reefcentral. with 175 icecap e-ballast ,reflector, mogul base and bulb. i was wondering if this ballast can run DE bulbs as well, incase i want to switch in the future. the DE bulbs i see are 150W only.

I have a 26 Gallon Bow that I keep Clams in, it's running on a 150WATT MH 20K XDE bulb. I like the look, it's a little "whiter" than the 20Ks I've seen before.

Originally posted by blk_g20

i found a setup forsale in reefcentral. with 175 icecap e-ballast ,reflector, mogul base and bulb. i was wondering if this ballast can run DE bulbs as well, incase i want to switch in the future. the DE bulbs i see are 150W only.

Contact IceCap directly to verify that. I know the new ballasts are what they designate as "all-bulb" ballasts. They have a vendor foum on RC, and they are very good about posting replies to it.

well, looks like i'm going to spend the money and buy a new setup. champion lighting has the 175w Icecap for $109, and $155 for the ballast plus a 10K aqualine buschke bulb. i thought i read somewhere that these AB bulbs are good stuff. what are the general attitude towards these?

champion lighting also have this PFO reflector plus socket for $39, seen here, while hellolights have their reflector plus socket for $29, seen here. are these the same thing? is there any reason i should spend the $10 extra?

thanks much.

I'm running a 10,000K 150W de AB bulbs and the color is nice krisp white, I don't see yellow in it. People have said that the 10,000k AB bulbs are more like 13,000K. I do suppliment with 32W act03, adds a nice blue tint.

Archived