ReefCleaners.org

What would be the best refugium?

jread

I have a regular 10-gallon that is cycling at the moment, and I want to put some kind of refugium on it. I'm either going with the smaller CPR refugium or I'm going to do the AquaClear 300 refugium (with 150 impeller).

The deciding factor for me would be which would make the BEST refugium? Would the AquaClear house the plants/copepods just as well as the CPR, or would the current be too much for them? I mean, I'd rather go with the AquaClear because it's so much cheaper, but I'd rather save my money and to the CPR if it's actually THAT much better.

Any thoughts on this?

• 3 weeks later...

The best refugium is the cheapest option with the largest footprint. Personaly im not a fan of the hang on refugiums. As their slim design really kills the surface area in terms of meaningfulness of having live sand in there. If I ran one of these things i would use just macro algae and some live rock rubble. Sand in these things is fairly pointless IMO. As far as the aquaclear mod things i havent any experience with these either but really question how much of a difference these make. In a perfect scenario i would say pick up a cheap 5 gallon and get a 10 dollar glass drillbit. 1/2" bulkhead a powerhead and your set with a meaningful above tank refugium. Just MIO.. but i guess not what your really lookin for.

Archived