inTank Media Baskets

Hydor Koralia 1 on a wave timer?

wisker

First let me say I don't own a Koralia 1. But I do own a Tunze 6025 nano-stream, the smallest model they make. I have it on a timer where it is on / off cycle for 15 minutes. I read somewhere the Tunze need a minimum of 15 minute cycles to enable cooling of the pump motor. I noticed the timer you linked to has settings from 20 seconds to 3 minutes and I wonder if 3 minutes would be long enough to prevent over-heating?

If you buy the Koralia pumps designed to work on a 12 volt wave controller then you can do it. If you are talking about the normal Koralia pumps then NO!!! You will damage the pumps by turing them on and off. They have a plastic notch designed to start the pump impeller in one direction only. They will click rapidly and eventually break the plastic notch or strip the teeth.

Once that happens you have a 50/50 chance your pump impeller will spin backwards and not work properly.

only thing those ones designed for the wavemaker can only be plugged into the hydor..I wonder if you can cut the ends off of them and just put on a regular plug on them and use any wavetimer like the one listed here

The controllable Koralias run on 12VDC. You can't run them from a 12v power supply though. They seem to have a shutdown mode if the duty cycle on the input goes to 100%. They are designed to be driven by a pwm signal so you can't just hook them to 12v and go.

Archived