Pod Your Reef

My GSP is slow to open since I got it, anything to help it

Ytouf

I got some GSP in the mail from a fellow forum member and some of it is slowly showing some color but for the most part its all closed and another clump of it is just all closed and looks like a rock. My zoo's are a little slow to open too, whats the cause of this? My salinity is at 1.018.

Give it some time.. it'll eventually open up. You might also want to bump that salinity of yours up a bit.. to around 1.023 - 1.024.

Yeah, Salinity. Lighting maybe, did you acclimate them properly?when my salinity is that low, i try to add 1.025 SW and let evaporation take care of the rest, so it doesn't change too quickly.

Well I had ick so I'm trying to keep it that low. Yeah they are acclimated and I have 22 watts over my 3 gallon eclipse so they should be ok.

I have to agree, bump up your salinity. As far as the gsp goes donot worry, it can take up to 2 weeks for it to open back up. The only time you need to worry is if it is starting to bleach out on you. Gsp is one of the most hardy of corals and has a great survival record.

I have no fish to quarantine, you lower your salinity in order to kill off any ick in the tank before you reintroduce new fish after the 4 week ick cycle has completed.

Orange Crush

try telling that to the corals. They don't like that. 1.023-1.025 is generally what you want to shoot for. Lowers SG's are used for fish only tanks because inverts cannot live well in that environment. So what are inverts? Well, parasites for one, which is what you're trying to kill in a FO, and corals for another, which is likely why yours are unhappy.

Agree with OC, Ick also needs a host to continue it's life cycle, if you've removed your fish you can bring your salinity back up again. No fish = no ick, wait at least four weeks and reintroduce your fish. If you never had fish, which your post is vague on, you never had Ick and may have some other type of parasite.

Yeah I had a fish and it got Ick, but now I'm fishless for a few more weeks to see what happens. I'll bring up salinity soon hopefully the low salt level has killed off much of the ick. My inverts are doing great, I have 9 crabs that are doing sweet, so is my ricordia and all my feather dusters. Its the new stuff I just added that look like they have seen better days.

Archived