Coral Vue Hydros

Tunze 9002 all sudden LOUDER and making Micro bubbles?

chironerd21

So I had the Tunze 9002 for a month or so now.... and I haven't realized but my mother said howcome all sudden there is a loud noise now from the tank?

So i went up to the tank and examine it and the noise came from the Tunze... I don't know if it was the pump or increase of sound from the bubbles.... i always heard the bubbles sound, but this time its different you can hear the "humming" of something...

Also i noticed at the bottom of the Tunze ... there are formation of micro bubbles... not as bad as the Remora I had before, but I never thought i saw these bubbles before.... Maybe they were there before and I haven't noticed it....

I tried to move the skimmer up or down... but no difference... the water level has always been the same... I don't know how about the skimmate production ... I just emptied my cup..and my mom noticed this all day...

Do you guys think opening up the Tunze giving it a good rinse is a good idea??? But the manual states cleaning it once a year only... so wouldn't the Tunze should be built to last a year before cleaning? Or maybe something got clogged up in the skimmer?

I cleaned it this morning

Its has to do with the bubble sounding much louder? Maybe the bubbles are becoming bigger??

I cleaned everything...and put it all back together...nothing is pinching nothing....

Like its was fine..all sudden the bubble sound is so loud...not as bad as the Remora but its getting there.... I bought a brand new Tunze for its silence.... not for making bubble sounds as loud as the Remora.... :angry:

When mounting the skimmer, try raising the skimmer above the water so that the line is approximately 1/2" above the water line. Also, when you disassembled the skimmer, there is a small plastic 90* piece that attaches the air intake hose to the venturi device. Make sure there's no salt buildup in there (i use a paperclip to clean it out.)

That should help quiet the skimmer down as if the skimmer sits lower, it pulls water into the airline hose, causing gurgling. it also eventually evaporates that water and reduces the effectiveness of the skimmer until you clean it.

So I cleaned the skimmer really well..

Would there be another 'break in period'...as my skimmer hasnt been skimming for 1.5 days now... not even any bubbles reaching the top?

yes. You cleaned off the slime coat that allows it to skim properly.

let it reslime up and break back in

Finally !!! Stevie T answers me!! I was waiting all this time!!! haha I know the King of Tunze 9002 !! B)

Okie... then i shouldn't worry... because I was like...'what the heck"...its doing nothing..

Finally !!! Stevie T answers me!! I was waiting all this time!!! haha I know the King of Tunze 9002 !! B)

Okie... then i shouldn't worry... because I was like...'what the heck"...its doing nothing..

:) I was watching the thread, and you received good advice so there was no reason to post. It should start to produce skimmate in a few days depending on your bioload and how much you cleaned it.

:) I was watching the thread, and you received good advice so there was no reason to post. It should start to produce skimmate in a few days depending on your bioload and how much you cleaned it.

I cleaned it good as the previous poster recommended... like a super scrub down with only a couple of coraline spots on the box... :lol:

Anyways lets hope the skimmer works well like before

Hey Stevie T... quick question... how much of the knob should i twist? and what is a good bubble formation? Like before i just randomly twist the knob....got some smelly skimmate, but don't know if i m OPTIMIZING the skimmer to its best....

It is pretty tank dependent but when you first start you should twist it so that the bubbles come up half way up the tube. Let it sit for about a day and see what forms. If it is just water, back it off very very slightly. Not enough then open it up very very slightly. Once you find that sweet spot leave it there, try not to touch it.

So I cleaned the skimmer really well..

Would there be another 'break in period'...as my skimmer hasnt been skimming for 1.5 days now... not even any bubbles reaching the top?

If you're not seeing *any* bubbles even when you remove the skimmer cup, you might check to see if the venturi was reassembled correctly.

If you're not seeing *any* bubbles even when you remove the skimmer cup, you might check to see if the venturi was reassembled correctly.

Bubbles are half way up the tube of the cup.... i guess waiting for it to finally reach over the hole into the cup...

Bubbles are half way up the tube of the cup.... i guess waiting for it to finally reach over the hole into the cup...

I'd wait another day. If you're still not getting any skimmate then you can turn the blue knob to the left a little bit and it will raise the bubbles in the tube.

I'd wait another day. If you're still not getting any skimmate then you can turn the blue knob to the left a little bit and it will raise the bubbles in the tube.

The bubbles are up and down..now its way down on the bottom...

Lots of microbubbles in the tank... this has never happened before... I got two amazing cups of skimmate..and bang! the skimmer started to break down...

Also this weekend i added a phosphate reactor with Seachem Phosguard ... i was wondering would this interfere with the skimmer? I don't know if this started before or after adding the reactor....

Try to research this media....nothing says it affects the skimmer ....

But right now I am pretty upset with the skimmer.... I was wondering 3 days of no skimmate...does this affect the tank? Would the corals get stressed out ???

Archived