Pod Your Reef

In Sump Skimmer for 45g

ap123

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to replace the skimmer I'm currently running, and looking for advice.

I've got a 45g display with a 20L sump. I would like an in sump skimmer that will run as quietly as possible, that is easy to set up and get started. And by easy, I mean it has to be fairly idiot proof. :P I am not mechanically inclined, and need something that I can just drop into the sump and plug in.

My budget is limited, but I know this is an important investment that I want to last and do the job I need it to do. I'm setting up a mixed reef of fish, inverts, zoas/mushies, and LPS.

I'm looking at the Tunze 9005, I like the fact that it has a small footprint and short enough to fit totally within the tank--I keep it covered so the dog doesn't get into it again.

I know many on here use and are happy with the 9002, but I don't see any threads on the 9005. And it's pricey for me.

I see a few people with Octopus 150s...

Looking at the AquaC, I can't figure out which one I would be looking at. :o The Urchin?

And then I saw the Berlin x2Venturi on Dr Foster Smith...

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to a newb. :)

Thanks 05X! :)

Was it hard to connect? Do you have to buy a pump separately?

nope comes with everything..all you gotta do is pop open the tube..4 screws..slide pump in on the rails..cant do it wrong and put that bubble diffuser ontop of the pump...the cylinder with the holes in it..probably took me 5min to put the whole thing together...the hardest part was just putting the screws back in holding it together with one hand trying to reconnect..but there isnt any difficulty to it..then throw it in the sump and plug it in..and use the long blue tube to adjust the water level..like the instructions say...dont make it too tight acrylic will crack easy

It looks awesome. But I just measured, and it's going to be too tall for me. I might be able to fit it, but there wouldn't be any clearance for emptying and maintenance. :(

Anyone else have thoughts/feedback to help me out?

Just looked up the ASM mini G. Hubby saw all the reviews on marine depot talking about the pump being LOUD and needing replacement...umm, not going to work. ;)

*Love your set up, by the way, it looks fantastic. B)

Archived