inTank Media Baskets

53.0mS doesn't look correct.

tqpolo

I just got the 10ATC refractometer from NIS on Ebay along with the calibration fluid. I calibrate it to 35ppt. Then measure my tank water and it came out to be 42ppt or 1.033. I thought that was weird so I measured some distilled water and got 9ppt. Is my calibration fluid out of wack?

i have the rhs10atc and mine did the same. i bought it with the calibration fluid. tested my water and it was high and when i tested RO it was around 10ppt. i called drsfostersmith to see what was up and they sent me a new refractometer and i tested that one out and it read the same as well, so its not the refractometer. they said just to trust the calibration fluid. funny thing is, whenever i test the water from different lfs i buy livestock from, its always around 10ppt higher than mine.

supreme_spork
You could always go back to the trusted Hydrometers lol.

it's actually not a bad idea to keep a hydrometer to use as a reality check if you get a refractometer reading you think is way off-base...

I just got the 10ATC refractometer from NIS on Ebay along with the calibration fluid. I calibrate it to 35ppt. Then measure my tank water and it came out to be 42ppt or 1.033. I thought that was weird so I measured some distilled water and got 9ppt. Is my calibration fluid out of wack?

I just posted on this last week. Bought from NIS as well. Contact him, I did and after testing himself he is aware of the problem. He had switch suppliers and never checked the fluid coming in. He is switching back. I'll bet you he'll send a replacement. It is the fluid.......had it verified by 2 LFS.

here is the thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2070590

I just posted on this last week. Bought from NIS as well. Contact him, I did and after testing himself he is aware of the problem. He had switch suppliers and never checked the fluid coming in. He is switching back. I'll bet you he'll send a replacement. It is the fluid.......had it verified by 2 LFS.

here is the thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2070590

Thanks. That solved it. I'll just calibrate with distilled water from now on.

Shoot Me_I Explode

I calibrate with RO/DI water, that’s what I was told to do and everything has been healthy for the past two years. Ever so often I take the Refractometer to the lfs just to check.

Thanks. That solved it. I'll just calibrate with distilled water from now on.

Actually, calibrating with a correct calibration solution is still the best way to be certain there is no error in your refractometer. It is too bad that someone is putting crappy solution out there.

Are you sure that it's a refractive standard? 53.0 mS is a measure of conductivity, which would be useless on a refractometer.

i bought the Pinpoint Salinity Monitor 53.0mS Calibration Fluid. does this not work for refractometers? the guys at drsfostersmith said that its the best way to calibrate refractometers. its hard for me to trust it though cause my lfs' SG is always higher than mine after calibrating with the fluid.

i bought the Pinpoint Salinity Monitor 53.0mS Calibration Fluid. does this not work for refractometers? the guys at drsfostersmith said that its the best way to calibrate refractometers. its hard for me to trust it though cause my lfs' SG is always higher than mine after calibrating with the fluid.

Oops, looks like I goofed on this one. Apparently the Pinpoint Calibration fluid works as a conductivity and refractometer standard. It should read 35 ppt on your refractometer.

Oops, looks like I goofed on this one. Apparently the Pinpoint Calibration fluid works as a conductivity and refractometer standard. It should read 35 ppt on your refractometer.

Thats the one I use. It works great! Is the op using a different solution from e-bay? That was my understanding?

sh1t i recalibrated my refractometer with RO then did a water change at a higher salinity to adjust my SG. now i gotta recalibrate with the fluid again and bring it back down. thanks wombat lol

Archived