Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Porcelin Crab Help!!!!!!!!!

BigKahuna430

BigKahuna430

Today I bought a porcelin crab for my 90 gal. I drip aclimated it to the tank, as per the lfs. He was in my tank no longer than an hour and he decided to rip one of his main claws off. WTF?¿? Then a few mins later he ripped the other one off. Is this normal? HELP!

Molting? They should grow back after awhile if not just molting. I think they do it as a result from stress if indeed it shed limbs. What did it rip it's last claw off with, it's mouth? Are we talking the regular claws or the ones with the filters?

BigKahuna430

it is actually his main claws... Not the ones with the filters. He seems to be feeding fine. I thought it wasn't molting, because I have only seen emerald crabs molt and it was the whole body at once and he didn't rip anything off. This one was kicking at his claws like he didn't even want them. Crazy stuff. and yes it was kinda kool to see, hopeing he will recover.

my porcelain lost a claw upon arrival an in less than a month there is a half sized claw there.

are you sure it ripped off both of the claws. I can see how it would be able to remove one but what did it use to tear off the second claw?

Check your tank for an Anal Urchin hitchiker. It's possible for a crab to get it's claw stuck and have it come off while attempting to pull it out. I had a menenomee that do the same thing.

Do a search for Anal Urchin here. I learned a lot about them from that thread.

BigKahuna430

Anal urchin... Ha Ha I have been reading up on it.

anyway, It ripped one off with the other claw and then pushed at the last with the reef, and finished it off with his back legs. Sure enough there are two claws laying at the bottom under him. Strange huh? Thanks for the help guys.;)

Sea- hope you don't have any powerheads in your menenomee tank. The powerheads are territorial and can become aggressive with your menenomees.

Cool!!! I was going to set up a species tank with just powerheads, but now since I used the SEARCH function and found this wonderful thread, I know my menenomees and powerheads can live in peace. Aint NR great!!

Archived