Cultivated Reef

Will these zoos start looking better under more light?

redneckvampire

redneckvampire

These are on a piece of rock with a few other types of zoos that are doing much better. When I upgrade from 36 watts PC's to 96 watt powerquad will their color become more vibrant?

be careful not to overexpose them. the only method for them to combat too much light is symbiont algae expulsion or staying closed. you might want to opt for more blue light (i.e. actinic) to bring out more colorful shades. my theory (currently :P ) is that promoting or readily available carotene significantly determines coloration in many of the color norphing livestock. jmo tho

just wanted to add that i'm not suggesting you can easily color change zoos just by adding actinics or supplementing a diet that's carotene-rich (but i'm gonna try ;) ). much of that coloration is species morphology, probably.

the coloration thought was really more directed at true corals where i've noticed very significant color variations from mother to daughter colonies depending upon lighting, flow, and diet. altho the light shock is still pertinent and some shading may be achieved by the processes noted above, maybe (ime anyways).

also that's supposed to be 'morphing' not 'norphing'. X) clumsy fingers on my palm pda. tiny buttons, sorry.

redneckvampire

The reason I ask is because the smaller zoos of that color seem to be almost the color of chocolate, but the larger ones are hot pink with blue centers.

it may be that you have two different types of zoos on the same rock, not uncommon. that may be why the two colorations.

adding the blue/actinics will also allow you to see more colorations that are masked by normal lighting (i.e. the chocolate ones may fluoresce in the middle). the higher energy blue light fluoresces the pigments/chemicals and makes it look prettier. so the addition of blue can make the polyps look 'better'.

just be careful going from 32W to 96W. it's like you going from office cubicle 40W fluorescents to july 4th weekend beach sunlight. sunburn, ouch!

the blah-blah i had above was more directed at the possibility that not only blue light can make the appearance look 'better' but that the blue light may actually change (influence color change) their colorations.

Archived