Pod Your Reef

Sapphire BC29 Skimmer

basicfisherman

basicfisherman

I bought a used BC29 Sapphire skimer, and I can't get it to pull air through the ailine tubing. Replaced airline tubing so that isn't pluged. As of right now it makes a good water pump but no bubbles. For all those people who have to many micro bubbles from the first model this one produces none! LOL Any ideas would be helpful.

basicfisherman

I think I might have figured it out. The pump pulls air once I take it off the skimmer. Once there is any back pressure it won't pull air anymore. I think I need to replace the pump for it. Anyone have any suggestions on a replacement for the skimmer. Right now it has a Maxi Jet 900 on it.

I bought a used BC29 Sapphire skimer, and I can't get it to pull air through the ailine tubing. Replaced airline tubing so that isn't pluged. As of right now it makes a good water pump but no bubbles. For all those people who have to many micro bubbles from the first model this one produces none! LOL Any ideas would be helpful.
I think I might have figured it out. The pump pulls air once I take it off the skimmer. Once there is any back pressure it won't pull air anymore. I think I need to replace the pump for it. Anyone have any suggestions on a replacement for the skimmer. Right now it has a Maxi Jet 900 on it.

Try to run the pump just before you immerse the skimmer in the water...if air gets trapped inside the pump it may not turn over. If that does not work you can use the pumps we use on our nano skimmers.

Email me if you need one.

nanoskim

basicfisherman

I have tried having the pump running will I submerge it and it doesn't make a difference. Only thing that it seems to me is the pump isn't strong enough anymore to pull the air. When it gets any backpressure it stops pulling air. Would this sound like it is in need of replacment?

First, what skimmer do you have? There was 3 versions. The original one has one pump. The second one is the first re-circulating model that Kyle came out with and it has 2 pumps. The current version is also a re-circulating model, but is designed differently. Either way, I would take the pumps apart and make sure the impeller is spinning. Could be something is jamming it. Take the impeller out and use a small brish to clean it out. The maxi-jet 900 should be plenty enough for this skimmer.

basicfisherman

It is the first model with the MaxiJet 900. It pushes water and such but it won't pull air once I insert it into the skimmer box. I have tried starting it out of the water then putting it into the skimmer box. Pulls air till there is back pressure on the pump then it pushes water through the airline tubing once there is anything a half inch or closer to the end of the out flow of water. I bought it used from a guy and tried asking him and Kyle how to get it to run with no help. Now it is a 65$ plastic boxes that pushes water really nice.

O.K., does yours have an air diffuser? This is at the end of the black tubing. Open it almost all of the way and see if that makes a difference. Also, you may want to disconnect the black tubing and make sure there is no obstruction in there. If this doesn't work, could be the pump itself or the impeller is failing. The 900 model should be fine with this, a 1200 would be over-kill.

basicfisherman

Thanks. Replaced the hose. Took air diffuser off and still no diff. I kinda figure the pump is just to weak to push water and pull air in at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
basicfisherman

Well figured the problem out last week. Boy do I feel silly. All I needed to do was attach the airline to the pump intake on the bottom instead of the airline nipple on the tube coming from the pump into the reaction chamber. DUH!!

Archived