ReefCleaners.org

JBJ nano cube 12 fuge

cartophilus

Just got a JBJ nano-cube, and I'm wondering if the rear portion of it could be used as a refugium, and if so, how would I do it? Also, has anyone been able to upgrade their lighting on one of these? This is my 1st reef aquarium. Any tips?

Yep, I'm in for that!

The main issue is access, tilting the hood up 90 degrees isnt good for the wires back there, and I'm concerned about access.

Currently thinking about making mesh "socks" to fill up the two spare compartments with LR or crushed coral (the powerhead and heater in the other two). That would make it way easier to replace.

I guess my direction is looking more like a natural filtration sump than a refugium...

monsoon

Which compartment did you put the powerhead in? I have the heater and pump in the last compartment and I also plan on adding LR to the first compartment. I want to add the powerhead but didn't want to add it to the front portion of the tank like they did in my lfs.

I'm upgrading the stock powerhead with a rio 600, not putting in a new one. After I'm up and running, I'll see if I need any improvements (with the helpful advice of more experienced reefers in these forums)

Powerhead is sitting nicely in the 3rd compartment (or second from the right as looking at the tank front on). Lucky the powerhead I've got sits perfectly even with the walls at differant heights.

BTW, finally got the cover off. With the lid closed, insert a screwdriver into the hinge space. Gently pull the canopy forward and use the screwdriver to pop it out. Repeat for the other side. It comes off pretty easy, nice and clean and re-attaches just fine. I couldn't figure this out until I read a post on RC.

Yeah man, I freakin kicked myself after doing all these mods with the cover still on. just to find out faster how easy it was to work with the cover off.

Monsoon, did you put the screwdriver in the front of the hinge to pop it out, and did it break the plastic holders when you did? I was thinking about dremeling the front tabs on the hinges off, and was wondering which would be neater.

Yes, in front of the hinge. The hinge part, are just 2 plastic nubs. I knowits kinda weird but in front of the hinge and they pop right out.

I took out the some of the ceramics and bio balls because i kept getting rec cyno, which i'm still struggling with a bit. I'm going to slowly take out the rest of the ceramics in coming weeks.

I got a rio 180 and placed it above the the stock powerhead. Put 1/2 tubing to have it circulate the water aournd the oppisite side of the tank. Helps keep the cyno dwn.

The carbon pretty much was usless after a week or less, so that goes out too.

I have to baffle the other end of the "sump" area and try and mount another light over that area. then i might be able to get some LS and some macro in there.

Sound good?

Here are some pics:

jbj_canopy_screwdriver.jpg

This shows where to insert the screwdriver and which direction to pull it (carefully). Remember to gently pull the canopy as well.

jbj_canopy_case.jpgjbj_canopy_lid.jpg

This is the female socket on the case, and the male plug on the canopy.

And finally, something totally irrelevent: my lastest rockscape (sorry couldn't resist :P ):

jbj_rockscape.jpg

I'm almost there, a dozen variations later. Maybe I'll actually get some water in there soon!

Monsson and sukeband -can you shre a photo of the powerhead setup? I just set mine up the other day and am circulating the saltwater right now. I'm picking up my LR/LS this weekend and plan on going real slow with it. Like the rockscape too monsoon.

Littleoceans

I was trying to figure out how to get the hood off without breaking it... I have a 32watt system going in soon and needed the info... Thanks... littleoceans

Great diagram! Hood came off just as described. (Oh, and your rock setup looks real good too.) Hopefully I'll have mine set up and cycling within a week, and I'll be able to start posting pics of my own. I'm building a ghetto stand for it right now, and if it comes out as good as I hope it will, Pics of that will be coming.

Archived