ReefCleaners.org

cut the glass out of my hood?

Iphantom

should I cut the glass out of my hood?

I read it on gil and lizas nano-reef site

they say it helps with the air/gas exchange and maintaining

the right temp

it makes sense

I was wondering if the light whould then get encrusted with salt spray?

thanks

-Matt

depends on if you can handle the evap which will rapidly increase with an open top.

yes they will. if you cut the glass top, save some glass and cover the lights.

Iphantom,

Our light definitely gets salt creep on it, but since I wipe down the bulb weekly with a damp paper towel when I do a water change, it doesn't every really get out of hand.

The main reason that we removed the glass in the first place was due to temperature issues. I know at least one person who has dealt with the temperature issue in a different way by installing multiple fans in the lightstrip. This keeps the lighting cool above the glass and the glass stays cool as well.

Good luck and happy reefing,

Gil

Holy smoke you have all that flow in a 7G a 301 a 201 and a HOB 150

even with everything dialed down wow thats a lot flow

for the air gas exhange using a hob filter that breaks the waters surface is all you need

with out the glass more heat from the light will get into the tank and you will have more evaporation at the same time

mattie,

I ran the tank with the glass and it was MUCH hotter with it in, so I would disagree with you on that point. The light directly on the water actually forces evaporation which in turn cools the water. I am also using a single small fan in the lightstrip which helps further this process.

I agree with using a HOB filter to break the water surface as well, as it helps further with gas exchange as well as keeping down the surface film that tends to build up.

Gil

the fan makes a big diff I installed a little 2 inch cpu fan and a 12v ps from radio shack on my light 2 days my tank went from 83 to 80 degrees

Archived