ReefCleaners.org

RO/DI System Help!

keveneven03

Im looking into getting an ro/di unit but need a little advice. I dont want to spend a fortune on an ro unit but would like to get something nice and something that is going to work. I have been looking at a couple different ones:

150GPD 0ppm Reverse Osmosis+(2)DI Aquarium Water Filter#22-264 From a company called costreef.

And:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s%3DI%26otn%3D2

What do you guys think about these units? Which one should I go with? Or is there any other ones out there? I would like to stay under the 120 dollar range and also I have a 75 gallon tank that needs filled.

I believe SteveT (and possibly some others) are selling petsmart $0.01 RO units for like $75.00. You may wanna look into those as well. They are only 24 GPD however.

TriggerHappyDude

That one looks nice. And a great price, is it always that price?

How do people who hook these up in their laundry room, do so?

Bulkreefsupply.com has a nice 5 stage Ro/DI unit thats 75 GPD I think its 159.99. Thats the one I would buy if I hadn't bought my Coralife 4 stage before I knew about that one.

NanoReefNovice

Just bought and set up this couldn't be happier :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/REEF-HOUSE-RO-DI-REVER...bayphotohosting

Came w/more then i needed to set it up and works like a dream, 0 TDS all day. They also offer a reef only one, w/o the tank and drinking spout 6th stage carbon and an extra DI unit. But i love the tank b/c i always have 3.5 gal of 0TDS water ready, my girl loves the drinking spout.

Edit: just saw the one Steve was showing, that's the reef only one ^.

Scott, that one looks nice. And a great price, is it always that price?

Yes, that's the regular price and includes shipping. I connect mine to the hose bib but you can also hook it up in the laundry room by using one of these:

GardenHoseAdapter.jpg

You'll have to put something like this on the cold water supply for the washing machine:

2847564.jpg

Then run the waste either into the drain, or into a collection if you want to use it for watering plants or something.

Steve? Really? :angry:

:lol:

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, so I just basically split the cold water with a splitter and then hook up the RO/DI system with that orange connector. I have a sink right next to where the water hook up is, and there is also the drain from the washer right there with the cold water hookup, so one of those two places the waste can go?

Ok, so I just basically split the cold water with a splitter and then hook up the RO/DI system with that orange connector. I have a sink right next to where the water hook up is, and there is also the drain from the washer right there with the cold water hookup, so one of those two places the waste can go?

Yep.

That one looks nice. And a great price, is it always that price?

Check my tank thread, I have my RO/DI unit hooked up to my cold water faucet for my washing machine. I run the waist water into the washing machine and use it to do laundry with. Saves me some $$ on my water bill that way.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, yeah cool, I saw your pictures of the splitter thanks! When did most of you purchase your RO/DI unit? Was it after the rest of the essential equipment was bought and you got tired of going to the LFS for purified water?

Is the RO/DI unit creating "distilled" water or something else?

I read about the overflow and flood problems, If I'm able to sit the container that is getting the clean water, in the sink I should be safe if it ever overflows or I forget about it and it floods for a while, right? It would just drain down the sink.

I bought my RO/DI unit after discovering that what my LFS was selling me was not even close to 0 TDS and I was having major algae issues. IMO, it's an indispensable piece of equipment for any reefer.

Is the RO/DI unit creating "distilled" water or something else?

Distillation is a different process. RO/DI basically strip the water of everything leaving just pure water.

I read about the overflow and flood problems, If I'm able to sit the container that is getting the clean water, in the sink I should be safe if it ever overflows or I forget about it and it floods for a while, right? It would just drain down the sink.

Correct.

I bought mine after I set my tank up and realized that I was evaporating aproximately 1 gallon of water a day. I decided that making weekly trips to the LFS (if not 2 a week) would get real old real fast. I got up with SteveT who sold me one of the $0.01 RO units for a good price. Then I added a DI unit onto the origonal RO unit. I figure in the long run it will eventually pay for itself in both time and money.

I don't believe the water is considered distilled it's just super filtered so that there are no disolved metals in it.

Just bought and set up this couldn't be happier :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/REEF-HOUSE-RO-DI-REVER...bayphotohosting

Came w/more then i needed to set it up and works like a dream, 0 TDS all day. They also offer a reef only one, w/o the tank and drinking spout 6th stage carbon and an extra DI unit. But i love the tank b/c i always have 3.5 gal of 0TDS water ready, my girl loves the drinking spout.

I bought the exact same one and very happy with it. I am now using it for cooking as well.

Archived