Cultivated Reef

ahsupply's 2X55 watt kit and 1X13 watt light kit

Andy16

How does this sound for lighting a standard 20 gallon tank? 2X55 watt light kit from ahsupply.com, and 1X13 watt kit for an actinic that turns on in the morning and stays on all day then go off half an hour later then the daylight lights are on? This is what was recomended for me by some one else on a different forum, but it was a 1X55 watt kit for a planted tank w/o the 1x13 watt kit.

I want to keep all options open on coral, so i have no restrictions when i get more experienced and want different corals that might be harder to take care of.

TIA

3x55. 1 Actinic, 1 50/50 and 1 10000k. But if you have the cash and the room, Go halide.

The 1x13 will get drowned out by the 2x55 10000k(I assume that is what you meant.)

Wouldnt a 55 watt actinic light be to bright for dawn and dusk lights? If its not I would get the 2X55 watt kit and the 1X55 watt kit.(would htat even fit over a standard 20 gallon tank?)

And yeah i would get 10000k to start out with, but might experiment with different shades later on.

I have the 2x55 watt kit over my 20 long tank right now. With the reflectors that ahsupply uses it would be hard to fit them into a hood over the tank (they are 4" wide and a 20L tank is 12 "wide). I use 1 10K and 1 actinic and get a pretty good balance of white and blue...I don't think the 55 watt would be too much for a dusk/dawn lamp, but probably wouldn't be necessary. I'm also starting to get the sps/lps clam bug and am upgrading to MH in a couple of weeks. The pc's would be great if you don't want much in the way of high light corals.

If you can afford the extra cost go with MH now. If not the 2x55 setup from ahsuppy with one of their finished hoods would work well. If you want to put 3x55 on the tank don't get their kit as the reflectors (they are awesome btw) won't fit. You'd have to make one to hold all 3. BTW the kits are super easy to put together. I have 2 at home and both took under an hour (not including measuring 10 times :)).

Ox

If i made a diy hood i could get 3X55 watts is there right?I could get one 2X55 watt kits and 1 1X55 watt kits. There is no way i can afford MH right now. When i get a job this summer i could get them but not now. PCs are good too arent they?

BTW the kits are super easy to put together. I have 2 at home and both took under an hour (not including measuring 10 times ).

Thats good to hear. I was getting worried that i would buy it and not be able to put it together. lol

Archived