inTank Media Baskets

How much flow do I need?

pimp4cheddar

Hey folks,

I've been reading and looking around but different people have different views...

I have a 29gallon tank with 24lbs of Live Rock. I'm running skimmer/filter less...and I've been told I can do so...as long as I keep the bioload low, small count of small fish(don't overstock), and do often waterchanges.

I currently have 1 Kydor #1...that's rated at 400gph...should I have more flow? That's about 13x my tank per hour...

The only reason I'm asking is because I heard/read that you can have TOO MUCH FLOW...

I need some advise.

Also...is there a such thing as TOO MUCH LIVE ROCK?

Really depends on what you want to keep in terms of coral. I've got 2 koralia 2s in my 29g but I'm keeping sps which loves flow. Maybe go with another K1

supreme_spork

I have 2 koralia nanos plus a 400gph main return in my 34g (22g display), so a total of about 900gph or just under 30x/hour total turnover. It's doing the job very well for my SPS frags.

Also, it's as much about the kind of flow as it is about total flow -- chaotic flow is good (which is why wavemakers are popular), linear flow isn't as beneficial. One reason why two powerheads are usually better than one (more chaotic flow when the streams intersect).

Oh, and yeah there's such a thing as too much live rock. Total water volume is important, and if you have your 29g tank stuffed with so much rock that you only have 8g of total water volume, that's not good. :P

I have low T5 lighting...I forgot to mention that...

I have the Nova Extreme T5HO 2 Bulb unit...that's the cheapest Dr. Foster had!!!

Anywho...I'm fine with zoos and also mushrums...just the easy/starter corals. Nothing to expensive.

I thought that adding another powerhead would give me TOO MUCH FLOW...that's why I only ordered one...

I'm not to concerned with corals though...I just want to know if I should add another powerhead to run my tank without a filter or skimmer...

Thanks spork...I guess I'll buy another 5-6lbs of live rock and have my tank stocked with an even 30lbs...

Should I aim the powerheads at eachother to cause that chaotic wave LOL?...I don't see that being effective...

Thanks again for the input,

supreme_spork
Should I aim the powerheads at eachother to cause that chaotic wave LOL?...I don't see that being effective...

In a large tank it's actually not bad, but in a small tank it's overkill. A popular option is to have one powerhead on each side of the rear wall facing toward the front of the tank -- in this way, the middle section of the tank pretty much from top-to-bottom will get the most random, circular flow.

Archived