Coral Vue Hydros

watts v duration ?

Paulc

Does anyone here know if a nano-reef system can run on relatively low light intensity

I have 2 x 24W (T5) on a 30G

Can I make up for the low light intensity by running the lights for longer periods.....or is this a bad idea.

Paul:

Though I do not have much experience with T-5's that should be enough for softies, but not much else. Does your ballast allow you to add two more? Regardless of whether your run your lights for 24 hours(not recommended) it will still not be enough to support hard corals. This is just generalization as I do not have all the specs of your tank and what livestock you plan to keep. please provide more information.

The depth of water I have in the tank is 18". I can double the number of lights to provide 96 W but the hood is located very low over the waters surface and I'm worried that in the summer months the heat generated will cause problems. I don't plan to keep any corals that require intense lighting but maybe some Mushrooms and Zoanthids.

Other info

LR

LS

2 perc Clowns

2 cleaner shrimp

turbo snails

2 powerheads (combined flow 1800 litres/ Hour)

internal filter (no sponges) + media

I would double if not triple the lights even for softies. add some fans to the canopy and you shouldn't have a problem. Added two fans to my 4x75 over a 20H and it cooled my tank by 6 degrees at least.

Archived