Coral Vue Hydros

sponges????

TANMAN5192

Sponges are hard to keep alive in any size tank for an extended period of time. They're filter feeders, prefer low light, and should never be exposed to the air. HTH.

I disagree slightly. Yes, they are low light and yes they are harder to keep but I have had them thrive without even trying. In my old 60 I had a blue sponge that grew inbetween all of the rockwork. Hitchhiker no less.

sponges need a decent amount of water flow to keep algae from growing on them. algae grows on them and the sponge dies. sort of like gorgonians. Real nice to look at but they require specific care to keep them from dying.

Originally posted by Crakeur

yes they are harder to keep but I have had them thrive without even trying.  In my old 60 I had a blue sponge that grew inbetween all of the rockwork.  Hitchhiker no less.

I have a ton of 'hitchhiker' sponges growing on my LR, but it seems the larger, more sought after Sponges have an extremely low mortality rate, such as the Red Tree Sponge. JMHO.

that is exactly what I was trying to get across.

I have tunicates and sponges growing in the caves and darkened areas of my tank and have always had success with them that way but spend a few bucks on tunicates and sponges they invariably end up in the garbage.

Archived