Innovative Marine Aquariums

done cycling???

Quash

Ok so I tested my Amm, and its at 0, trites 0 trates, about 10 ppm, pH prolly 7.8 7.9 alk, 8 dkh. Is it safe to add a cleanup crew? After my WC? Hair algae like a mofo up in the tank. Im into my third week since tank started.

yeah i would do a 2 gallon water change (pick off as much hair algae as possible by hand) and let the tank run overnight then test and add your cleanup crew (they'll thank you and do a much better job of cleanup!) ;)

what are you planning to get for your clean-up crew?

i recommend 3-4 nassarius, 3-4 ceriths, and 6 astreas, maybe 2 hermits (1 blue, 1 red).

have fun!

Orange Crush

cycling only has to do with the ammoinia. nitirites, and nitrates. According to those values, your tank is done cycling. dkh acts as a pH buffer. You keep that value up with water changes, and, as necessary, supplementation. Your pH is a bit low, should be 8.4. Also, it depends on the time of day when you test, as pH fluctuates. After you do a water change, check your pH and dKH again. You'll probably see that they've both gone up.

Originally posted by Quash

Shat, I thought I was done cycling, when I tested my water alk.  it was at 6dkh.  I guess Im not done until this value goes up

Not totally the case. The cycling stress will wear down your alk. Alk needs to be supplemented to keep it stable...either through water changes or dosing. It is something that gradually drops as it helps keep pH up by counteracting acidity. It's a consant battle.....

Cameron

I guess what I meant to say was that, I had 9 dkh, and then i did a two gallon water change and then tested the alk, the next afternoon and got 6dkh. I have the tetratest pH test, that ###### damn sux Its hard to align the color with the pH, I would say its at 7.9 yea, but i wont test nothin till this afternoon.

What I do notice, I just started to put in some kent marine superbuffer dkh and I notice that the white stuff on my rock begins to go away. alk should be at around 12 right. I link this directly to the low alk leads to white "bleaching" on my rock

It can. How's your calcium and magnesium? The color change could also just be the rock has recvovered and is cycled so everything is starting to bloom again.

Cameron

Well, you need calcium for sure and magnesium is good to have but not ideal. YYou need to keep your eye on ca and alk for sure because levels out of whack can cause "bleaching" of coraline.

Cameron

Archived