Top Shelf Aquatics

Sump ?'s

MWehr76364

As some of you know i've started up a 30gal salt tank and I am thinking about going ahead and doing up a sump for it also. I have never done one of these before and was wondering what all I would need to do and get to run it properly. Im trying to clean up the backside of my tank so it doesn't look so cluttered. Any info would be greatly appreciated as the size of the tank I should use for the sump. Space might be an issue here as im using a tv stand for my stand. The pumps and everything that I would need.

Thanks

Mike W

I just finished doing the sump for my 50g, it's pretty fun can it be complicated. What you'll need:

• Bulkhead or Overflow
  • Lots of PVC piping
  • PVC primer and cement
  • Ball valves
  • Container for sump (I used a 20g high)
  • Return pump (I used an Oceanrunner 3500)

First, you need to get a bulkhead drilled or install an overflow so that water can go from your display tank to your sump. It's important that your supply line is capable of flowing faster than your return pump is, as you can slow the flow down with a ball valve but most pumps are not adjustable. Use PVC piping to connect the bulkhead/overflow to one side of your sump, and put your return pump on the other side with PVC or plastic tubing going back to the display tank. What else you put in the sump is up to you. Mine houses my heater, skimmer, livesand and active carbon.

Would a 10gal sump be ok for a 30gal? I am going to go with an overflow. Do I need a pump attached to the overflow or do I just need a pump for the return and the overflow works on siphon? Do I need to put a couple of baffles in the sump to kind of section it off? Sorry for all the ?'s just want to do it right the first time and i've never done one of these before.

- You dont need a pump for an overflow, they work on a siphon.

- Baffles are optional in most sumps, I use mine so I can have livesand and carbon in the sump.

10g will work good, though you can use any container (like a rubbermaid or something simular).

Archived