Innovative Marine Aquariums

Natural sea water

Justin_Freebords

The Propagator

Rock on with your bad selves gang ! Use that NSW ! :D

I look forward to answering your hair algae and phosphate questions in the future ! :D

Doesn't matter how far you are from the coast line,there is always crap to be found in the water.What some people don't understand is,that the fish who swim in the oceans are used to the pollution we mankind have thrown in it over the years,the fish we buy in the shops are bred in synthetic clean water,they are not used to the strange stuff in the natural water.

With respect to that...what about wild caught fish? I'm not saying anyone's wrong, just asking a question.

The Propagator

Most fish are not bred in the marine hobby period.

The vast majority are all wild caught. There ARE those few that are like clowns, and some other smaller fish but most are not. ( by most I mean like 99.8% )

Even those that are captive bred are usually on the coast line and also use filtered natural sea water because it is more cost effective and time saving. Especially those that do it on a large scale.

Fish in general are tough little bastages and largely not as sensitive to water parameters as out coral.

So as long as its not full of ammonia, trites, trates, and copper they will probably fine in a fish only system.

You seem to forget that public aquariums that pump out the water from the sea the water it first goes through miles of pipes and filters...

Nope. Most just pump it in. Monterey Bay and Waikiki would be perfect examples, although Waikiki also has a deep well. If it's in an unpolluted area it's perfectly fine for use in home aquariums.

Archived