ReefCleaners.org

Aluminum Radiator?

Angelo99

Has anyone tried using CPU watercooling radiator for heat control? I understand that copper is a big No, but do you think an aluminum radiator would leak aluminum into the system (any more so than aluminum phosphate binder)? I'm just brainstorming before I save up for a chiller this summer.

I'm thinking about using this:

Aluminum radiator with fan

I've watercooled my pc from 63 celsius air down to 41 celsius water...I was thinking the aquarium water would drop to ambient temperature or a couple degrees hotter with this radiator and fan. I think this may be considerably cheaper than the electric bills associated with a chiller...but don't want to harm the livestock. Please let me know your thoughts of other considerations that may occur.

You could do it as a closed loop, running a large coil in the sump for heat transfer, but anything but titanum will suck for heat transfer.

I wouldn't run tank water through it though. Saltwater is highly corrosive, and will destroy the thin aluminum quite quickly. You can get all sorts of things leaching into the water depending on the alloy, and the filler metal used to braze/solder certain parts together.

I wouldn't chance it.

Good point. With the cost of all the livestock, why chance it with this. I knew it was an expensive hobby...now time to man up, lol. Can anyone say Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until the summertime...

Archived