SaltCritters.com

new live rock, feather duster city!!!

Bodhi-Licious

Bodhi-Licious

I got some more live rock for my tank and one of tha peices has a big feather duster, about 3" diameter and lot and lots of 1/2 to 3/4 inch ones do I need to feed them? :unsure:

wATCH OUT FOR BRISTLEWORMS, THEYLL EAT THE SMALL ONES. I HAD A PIECE OF lr WITH 6MINI DUSTERS. tHE BRISTLEWORM TOOK CARE OF ALL OF THEM!!!!! DAMMMMMMMIT!

if its only been set up for 3 DAYS there is a very very high chance the feather dusters won't survive the cycling of the tank. if its only been 3-5 days since the start. find a friend whom's tank is established and leave the rock there for 4 weeks if you don't know anyone

take the rock back to the LFS and exchange it for a different one

Could anyone else comment on bristleworms and feather dusters? I have MANY bristle worms and feather dusters in my 10g, but have not noticed a problem. My bristle worms are pink and from a half inch to several inches long. I thought it was the red or scarlet bristle worms that were bad and that the pink ones just get a bad rep and are reef safe and good for the tank.

Bodhi-Licious

Ok Im not sure but I think my LFS sold me live rock with cynobacteria. Its a little darker than the coraline alge and its kinda fuzzy although it does not realy scrub off 8) still waiting for the detrius.....

Bodhi what store did you buy your lr from? cause all the rock i bought around here all the dusters survived cause it was super cured rock?

Bodhi-Licious
Originally posted by deacon hemp

Bodhi what store did you buy your lr from? cause all the rock i bought around here all the dusters survived cause it was super cured rock?

I got about 8lbs from king ed's and 7lbs from big al's in richmond all "super cured"

I've started many tanks with rock with feather dusters on it. It just means that the rock is cured and has little to die off on it. Don't worry and your tank will be great with the high quality rock you bought.

I say let it run its course. Depending on the quality of the live rock, and the time duration that the rock was out of the water, the cycle may not be as toxic. Feather dusters are pretty damn hardy creatures and I've seen them survive through some tough situations. If they feel super stressed, they will hide in their tube for sometime only to resurface again when they feel more comfortable. I've seen some feather dusters grow out of very "dead" rock.

Archived