Top Shelf Aquatics

Photography 101?

killrblue

Do we have tutorials about taking pictures? I am having trouble of taking shots with actincs and moonlights only. I see beautiful zoos under this lighting but cannot replicate it with my digicam, Nikon 5700. What is white balance?

Any suggestions of sites or books to read up on photography?

Here are the settings I use on my camera:

Day Pics-

File - Tiff

Noise Reduction - On

Sharpness - Max

Saturation - Max

Light/Dark - Negative 1.7

Super Macro - On

Manual Focus

WB- Auto

ISO- 100

Flash - Off

Night Pics-

File - Tiff

Noise Reduction - On

Sharpness - Max

Saturation - Max

Light/Dark - 0.0

Super Macro - On

Manual Focus

WB- Auto

ISO- Auto

Flash - Off

White balance is what your camera uses to determine what color is actually white. Digital cameras usually have several built in settings to compensate for color changes due to incandescent, flourescent, or outside lighting.

Since your tank lights are likely much more blue than any of the camera's presets, you need to tell the camera which color is white so that the photo looks the same as what your eyes see.

First, you have to find the area in the setup of your camera where you can manually set the white balance. Not all cameras allow you to do this, so you will have to look in your manual. Next, you point your camera at your white gravel, and set that to be the setting for white when photographing your tank. When you take your shots, you should see a marked improvement.

Don't forget to reset the white balance when you are done, or your next photo of Grandma will make her look like some kind of zombie.

Archived