inTank Media Baskets

red hair like algea

Jezze

a wek or so ago, i started to notice what i think was red slime algea growing  on some part of my LR and sand.  Today, I noticed that it has started to look kind of like some sort of hair algea.. the "hair" isnt ver long yet.. at most a half inch.  who do i do to get rid of it?  everything else in the tank is doing great.  Its a 10 gallon with a 36 watt pc and a 15 watt NO.  i leave the light on about 10 - 11 hours a day.  any suggestions?  

You know what I got the exact same thing. What you have in your tank is called red slime. At first it covers the floor and then it looks streaky.

I got a red slime remover and now its all gone.

your LFS should carry it. If not I am sure that you can find it online. I paid CAD$22 for mine though. Its probably a whole lot cheper if you got it online.

Joxer the Mighty

eferna, do you need a skimmer to use the red slime remover? I bought some at my LFS only to find out I could only use if I had a skimmer, which I don't. What brand did you get?

I got the UltraLIfe reef brand. They recommend using a skimmer cause it will get rid of the extra nutirents in your tank. I deicded to go with a skimmer cause i wanted to try the skimmer approach rather than a skimmerless one. So far so good. My skimmer collected a lot of gunk from my tank.

Nishant3789

hmmmwell is ure tank newly setup? is it just cycling or did it just cycle? Usually its always better to go for the natural cure for reg slime/hair/whatever u want to call it algea... What i did when i had this problem wasr skip a water change and lower the photopertiod. are you useing tap water? if so stop and get RO water... the reason hair algea of any sort comes iws because theres excess nutrients in the water. so what u do is skip  a water change and let all the nutrients be sucked up, then oever the course of a few days, the hair algea starts to yellowish and dies. then just syphon that out and u will be much happier. this is what workled for me others may tell u differnt figure out what is best for u and try it. hth

nishant

I thought I'd also add that my new baha snail has eaten a 2"x1" patch of red hair algae in less than 24 hours.  Nothing else in my tank has done anywhere near that much damage total in the past 4 weeks.  This guy is my new best friend.

Matthew

The tank has been set up for like.. 4 weeks maybe?  it was fully cycled after a week though.. Im pretty sure ive nailed down the problem.  Ive been leaving my lights on for 11 hours a day, and havent been doing water changes as much as i should.  ill try tweaking with those variables, and see what i can do

I used a product called Chemi-Clean. My 10 gallon started to grow the dreaded red slime, and it took care of it. No skimmer, no dead corals.

Archived