Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Does advertised skimmer size really mean much?

dasstheboss

i am just wondering because i am thinking of doing a 300G FOWLR and want to know if the skimmer size advertised for skimmers is really for reefs or for FOWLRs.

I am thinking of having a bamboo shark, a small ray, eel, lionfish and maybe a trigger. Not many corals except xenia, GSP or other rock-covering corals to make the tank a little prettier but with minimum maintenance and spreads fast.

My questions are:

1.if a skimmer is listed for 300g does it really work well for a 300G or should i look for something more in the 400 to 500g range?

2.Also, does using multiple skimmers far better than using one big one? like say i use 2x coralife 220G skimmers instead of one big one ( not considering brand names or anything. just an ideal circumstance)

Wether a skimmer handles what it is rated to handle would really depend on the brand.

You can use multiple skimmers if you want , but you'd have to maintain and empty 2 skimmers instead of just one.

And depending on the amount of money , you'd probably be better off just to put it all into one skimmer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking on it , who knows how they get that number though.... kind of seems like a opinion on how much they think should be pulled out.

well i was just wondering if i can get two coralife 220 skimmers instead of one maybe very large skimmer.. which i am not completely sure would fit under the stand.

You should be ok..... but.

If you are talking about the needle wheel models , they run about $200 each and they need modifications to the pump to work well. ( there are lots of CSS mod threads )

I would look into something besides the CSS's unless you already have them. I beleive for $200/each you could get AquaC Remora Pro's or something else.

Archived