ReefCleaners.org

Do i need a refuge?

Bin Weed

Do i need a refugium for a 10 gallon nano-reef or just a normal HOB /w bio wheel. Im going to make this into a serious reef tank. Thanks for readin and many more thanks for a reply

Ben

offsprg01, despite the fact that most people would not run a bio-wheel on a reef, i would leave it in this case. Live rock is a natural means of filtering water by use of the many bacteria that break down, or even absorb nitrite, ammonia, and sometimes even nitrate (in the core or under thick sand). By using the bio wheel right now, one is taking away from (or supplimenting, depending on how your bio-load is), what your live rock has to do. This leads up to a build up in nitrates...something that many inverts are sensitive to. So in the typical live rock/sand reef, the use of additional biological filtration is frowned upon, and I would remove the wheel as is unless it is needed to handle a larger than usual bio-load (and very frequent water changes are made). In the case of a fuge however, many mfg's of these do include some form of supplimental bio-filtration to provide the macro with some nitrate to feed off of because otherwise it is possible for a reef to not develop any nitrates without it (live rock starving the macro off by preventing the breakdown of ammonia and nitrite into nitrate all together). So I say, if no macro, kill the biowheel. If you do a fuge, keep it on and it will feed off what the bio-wheel is making (nitrates).

Interesting point of view, Wetworx. I guess it would all depend on what his nitrate readings are. I feel that Nitrates are good for a tank if they are at 5-10ppm, max. Corals, Marcos and especially clams use nitrates.

I'm tagging along and wondering if I should get a fuge. I have a horrible cyano bacteria issue, where the bacteria would float to the top of the water! Would having a fuge eliminate the majority of cyano in my main tank ?

My cerith snails and scarlet hermits are annhiliating my cyano field. If you have some ceriths just plop them in it, they should stick around...

OH Bin weed: Get a fuge, they are great. Pod breeding, extra place to keep LR, get the macro out of the main tank, etc...

Archived