Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is there a better ATO system for the money?

mmelnick

thats the lowest price ive ever seen. im so gona get one once i get some $ togeather!

and thanks i faved that page thanks a tun for the link

I'm very happy with the ato I purchased from autotopoff.com. not much more expensive, and much less assembly required.

how much was it? im to lazy to look..

but im a broke highschooler so cheaper is better!

how much was it? im to lazy to look..

but im a broke highschooler so cheaper is better!

I just took a look. the one with the double switch setup is $50, and the one with the single switch setup is the same as the double switch setup one from aquahub.

But really... That is pretty lazy.

I just took a look. the one with the double switch setup is $50, and the one with the single switch setup is the same as the double switch setup one from aquahub.

But really... That is pretty lazy.

yea........... i gess that is realy lazy....... hmmmm..........

i was considering getting one from either aquahub or autotopoff but im not very good at mechanical stuff...can you get floating float switches? so when the float stitch falls below one attached to the water level that you want, it turns the pump on

sorry but didnt mean to take over the thread..

i was considering getting one from either aquahub or autotopoff but im not very good at mechanical stuff...can you get floating float switches? so when the float stitch falls below one attached to the water level that you want, it turns the pump on

sorry but didnt mean to take over the thread..

yeah, you can buy just the switch, but you also need to connect it to a 12 volt transformer and then have the switch use the 12 volt to turn on a relay which will send full outlet power to the pump. So if you buy just the transformer, relay and relay holder off of the site you will end up paying more than the kit.

I have an Aqua-Hub system and I love it. Honestly you can't get anything better for the same price. Only other real options are the JBJ which is around $100 and the Tunze Osmolator which is a rediculous $180, NOT worth it IMO.

yeah, you can buy just the switch, but you also need to connect it to a 12 volt transformer and then have the switch use the 12 volt to turn on a relay which will send full outlet power to the pump. So if you buy just the transformer, relay and relay holder off of the site you will end up paying more than the kit.

but they dont float in the water. i mean like a float sensor that floats in the water with another one against the sump and then when the water level drops below the sensor attached to the wall it signals the pump..do those exist?

I have an Aqua-Hub system and I love it. Honestly you can't get anything better for the same price. Only other real options are the JBJ which is around $100 and the Tunze Osmolator which is a rediculous $180, NOT worth it IMO.

is it easy to put together? because like i said im not mechanically inclined lol

but they dont float in the water. i mean like a float sensor that floats in the water with another one against the sump and then when the water level drops below the sensor attached to the wall it signals the pump..do those exist?

is it easy to put together? because like i said im not mechanically inclined lol

Yeah, it's pretty straight forward. You can see the instructions on their website in fact and determine for yourself. But you only need simple hand too,s to put it together.

Initially both float switches in the "Deluxe" 2-switch kit are designed to be placed out of the water and meant to turn off the ATO pump once the desired water level is reached. But for my use I needed to only have one switch do that and the other switch sit in my ATO water bucket to shut off the pump from running if the water drops below the level of the switch. I didn't think the kit allowed for this like the JBJ kit does, but when I inquired to Aqu-Hub about it they were very fast to respond and tell me how to go about it. It was as simple as removing the float cylinder from the switch and flipping it upside down, this allowed it to work the way I needed it to. :)

Hey, you pay for what you get. I don't like the float switches. I don't trust them for accuracy, and I don't trust that they'll continue to provide accurate response to water level long term. I sprung for the osmolator. It is worth every penny and then some. Perfect accuracy and includes the pump. Not to mention that the customer service at Tunze is awesome. To each his own...

Hey, you pay for what you get. I don't like the float switches. I don't trust them for accuracy, and I don't trust that they'll continue to provide accurate response to water level long term. I sprung for the osmolator. It is worth every penny and then some. Perfect accuracy and includes the pump. Not to mention that the customer service at Tunze is awesome. To each his own...

Perfect accuracy, ehh?? I can easily say the same about both the JBJ kit and the Aqua-Hub. When the desired mark is hit and both your system and mine do what they are supposed to do, then the Tunze is not any more accurate, so that's a pretty pointless thing to say. ANY ATO system will have perfect accuracy when operating correctly. You get what you pay for? With the Osmo your paying for the name Tunze, not necessarily quality. It's like buying Nike's. I've owned a pair but they lasted far shorter than Adidas or hell even Payless shoes that I've also owned in tyhe past. The osmo is a great idea though, a good alternative, but it's totally NOT worth the rediculous price. Anyways, I've had my JBJ ATO for almost 2 years, and it's worked flawless for me, I expect the Aqua-Hub to do the same to which is has for a few months now that I've had it. In the end if float switches are so bad, ask yourself why Tunze incorporates one as a BACKUP no-less, for it's osmo system, why not just another optical sensor? ;)

The backup float is for high level alarm, not top off. It doesn't need the accuracy. But you're right, of course, about perfectly operating items performing exactly the same. So the question is: what is the likelihood that the float switches will fail before the sensor will?

And while you are definitely buying a name (Tunze), I haven't met a single person that would willingly choose not to buy Tunze if the money isn't a problem. Not all high priced brand names represent overpricing. I would also buy an Aston Martin over a Ford if I could afford it. Why? Because its better on just about every single level. So don't argue that a higher price and brand name are a bad thing. It's just another factor for you to consider when purchasing. If you're cheap, so be it - enjoy the savings.

I've bought enough cheap equipment to know that somethings are worth the extra cost.

The backup float is for high level alarm, not top off. It doesn't need the accuracy.

Ahh, but it DOES need accuracy. If it didn't and it wasn't, then the high alarm would fail! I didn't say it was for top-off though, just that it's a backup. Still, you gotta admit that Tunze went cheap by using one in the first place on a system that's supposed to make them a thing of the past. You can't fall back on a technology you're trying to replace.

I've bought enough cheap equipment to know that somethings are worth the extra cost.

SOME things. ;)

Cars are a whole different level though. But the Osmo isn't fail proof. I've honestly heard of as many sensor failures as float switch failures, and I honestly haven't heard of really that many of either. It doesn't come down to cost really. It comes down to the owner and how well maintained they keep the equipment. When properly maintained, mechanical equipment can in most cases outlast electronic equipment. Sensors is just one more thing to go wrong, that definitely applies to cars. The more sensors you add, the more there is to go wrong down the line. If I was given the Tunze, I'd use it. But I'm not going out of my way to get one just because it's Tunze and they "make the best equipement around." There's always far better products than what they make anyways. For instance if I felt that I needed a better alternative to my Koralia, I wouldn't get a Tunze Nanostream. I'd go straight to the top with either a Vortech MP20 or MP40. I'm sure you know people that would as well, so you definitely can't say you don't know people that would refuse to buy Tunze if money wasn't an object. If money were not object, you'd be a fool to just settle for Tunze, and yes getting it would be settling.

my whole point here is that the osmo isn't God's gift to the reef community for an ATO system, it's just something different from the norm. It does NOT work any better than the JBJ or Aqua-Hub when used and setup properly. in fact, even the Aqua-Hub is on the expensive side for what it is (which is just a handful of components actually), but it's the best you can do short of going full on DIY on an ATO system. You gotta look at the whole picture, not just what one brand offers...

BTW, if you've ever watched Top Gear, you'd know that an Aston is just average compared to other cars they have tested, but not too many cars look as good as a DB9... B)

For that price, you could build an automatic water changer. Just....throwin' it out there...

all i did was buy a 100gpd RO/DI with a smart valve on it and add a float switch :P works like a charm and for only $250 for both of them

For that price, you could build an automatic water changer. Just....throwin' it out there...

IDK

I read your thread on that, and although I fancy myself a pretty good do-it-yourselfer... that circuitry was waaaaaaay over my head.

And I barely have room for one reservoir for the top off system.

But maybe when I upgrade to a larger tank I'll have to build something into the stand to accommodate that just to say that I have an auto water changer. B)

IDK

I read your thread on that, and although I fancy myself a pretty good do-it-yourselfer... that circuitry was waaaaaaay over my head.

And I barely have room for one reservoir for the top off system.

But maybe when I upgrade to a larger tank I'll have to build something into the stand to accommodate that just to say that I have an auto water changer. B)

The Aqua-Hub is for you then, it's somewhat DIY, but very straight forward and simple, and it woks AS WELL as a Tunze, but for a fraction of the price. I do gather that you don't want to spend a lot, so the Tunze is out of the discussion anyways. ;) Don't buy into the hype of it. The Aqua-Hub, JBJ and Tunze all do the same job, and equally as accurate and reliably. No point to overspend on something fancy. As I mentioned above, I've had a JBJ ATO for almost 2 years now and not a single issue with it EVER! The Aqua-Hub is nice because if say a switch goes out or the relay goes south, you can always order each seperately and for FAR cheaper than you would if it were the Tunze or probably even the JBJ... In fact, if the Tunze were to fail (the unit itself or the pump, NOT the sensors) you'd more than likely be out $180. If a switch or the relay goes out on the Aqua-Hub, you're only out no more than about $20, AND you don't have to throw it away or pay some reduculous expense to fix it PLUS the shipping it back to them and getting it shipped back to you. Just some other things to think about here. That would also apply to the JBJ. Out $100 if it fails. My Aqua-Hub has been working flawlessly the 4 months I've had it so far, so I give it 2 thumbs up as well.

ok since im not a very good do it yourselfer, should i just get one from autotopoff?

Read the instructions on Aqua-Hub's site first, then judge for yourself from there.

Archived