Pod Your Reef

Deal or No Deal?

Imnadid

Well, have spent a coulple of weeks browsing through the site and have fallen to the darkside. Found someone locally who has a 24g Aquapod that is 6 months old and is selling for $130 and is going to throw in a 14g biocube. Which the biocube needs some work as it sounds like the fan is making noise, theCoralife 10,000 bulb works but the Coralife actinic bulb blew and the moon lighting is not working, and has a small pin hole in the rubber seal on the front left hand corner.

Fairly confident I can put in a new fan as somewhat technically inclined, new actinic bulb, not sure if there is a switch or something for the LED's but bust out the meter and check those for power, as far as the hole goes not sure yet.

$130 seem like a good price?

I'm on somewhat of a budget so thinking I keep the 24g and fix and sell the 14g, or should I keep both and use the 14g as a QT tank, or being a newb start witht the 14g and sell the 24g and essentially have a pretty close to free tank?

For $130 dollars, thats an insanely good deal. If you think about it, the 14 g alone retails for $160 (at least around here,) and you're essentially getting it for free. I'm not sure how much the Aquapod goes for, but I gurantee you that's cheap. Personally, I'd keep them both. I'd use the 14 as a mantis tank...but that's just me. I'd say go for it.

That Biocube sounds like it would end up being more trouble than it's worth, I suspect it probably has more problems than he's mentioned.

Yeah I figure that a fan is cheap and if I can fix the other issues with little cost and only have to buy a bulb then It's a great deal. I think $130 for the 24g is fair, as cheapest I have seen is $208 plus shipping. But with the addition of the 14g it is a good deal. Anyone know of a good thread on neatly fixing a leaky tank (I'm sure I could just get some aquarium sealant and give it a go)?

Well picked up both the 24g aquapod and 14g biocube. The LED's in the biocube did work, she just didn't plug them in. One bulb is bad as I turned both lights on and only one came on. Then swapped bulbs to make sure it wasn't the ballast, so that is an easy fix. You can see on the bottom in the front where the water is leaking under the silicone, anyone give me a good idea on how to neatly fix that? They said it seems to only leak when completely full, however I don't want it to leak at all. On a side note, there was a bonus that I wasn't expecting with the lot. 100w Hydor heater and a 150w Neptune heater, have heard the Neptune's are crap, what about the Hydor?

Archived