Cultivated Reef

purple dottyback

cliffrouse11baseball

cliffrouse11baseball

I just put a purple dottyback in my 7 gallon tank. I know these are very agressive fish and since i was only going to put 1 fish in there anyway i figured why not put a pretty one in there. one question is will he harm any inverts. I am planning on putting a cleaner shrimp and a emerald crab in there eventually along with my hermits and snails. I woult like to hear success and horror stories. Thanks

dottyback = crustacean terminator

ime they tend to leave the larger ones alone (smart) but the smaller crabs are like popcorn.

shrimp are at risk too, especially at molt. cleaner fish may be recognized as friends but depending on the dottyback's hunger level that friendship can change quickly to an appetizer.

so would it not be a good thing to add clown or gumdrop goby to a ten gallon tank that has a purple dottyback in it? my whole plan has been to add a goby to the tank, now im hearing and reading the dottyback will kill it. what other fish can go with a dottyback in a ten?

jAy

cliffrouse11baseball

I wouldnt add anything in there with it i carred mine back to the lfs after I saw him eat 2 of my snails...

I got a neon goby and a cortez blenny to replace him....

what other fish can go with a dottyback in a ten?
the neon goby is a good choice. the dottyback should recognize it as an ally rather than competitor. very little bio-load too and very colorful, aquafarmed too.

a clown can do but there may be some conflict. ymmv.

Archived