SaltCritters.com

Hermit crab serial killer on the loose?

dixiedog

My girlfriend is losing hermit crabs right and left. She's finding their corpses, out of their shells, about twice a week, and this is out of a population of only six in a six gallon tank.

Anybody have clues to this mystery??

Sounds like they are stressed or having some other problem. I don't think it's a mantis unless the shells are chipped a little, they also will eat the hermit, not just kill it for no reason (too much work). What are your parameters?

Only if they magically reappear!

Eh, over the years I've learned to interpret any hermit deaths reported by n00bs as molts. I'm right 99.9% of the time, without even reading the details.

supreme_spork
Eh, over the years I've learned to interpret any hermit deaths reported by n00bs as molts. I'm right 99.9% of the time, without even reading the details.

Sadly IAWTC.

That said, 6 hermits in a 6 gallon sounds like celebrity death match potential.

So, it's either parameters or too many hermits, is what I'm gathering here?

How many hermits is a good number in a six gallon - or should she just let the hermits decide that?

Thanks!

So, it's either parameters or too many hermits, is what I'm gathering here?

How many hermits is a good number in a six gallon - or should she just let the hermits decide that?

Thanks!

I've had many problems with hermits killing each other or killing snails. I don't use them for CUC anymore.

My hermits molt fairly regularly. Try to pick up the "bodies" and see if theres any thing inside. Though two a week seems rather extreme, my hermits generally go in to hiding for a week or so to let there new exoskeletons harden. I wouldn't be to quick to jump to the conclusion that their killing each other. Don't get me wrong, it's a real possibility, but if two are dieing a week how many could you have left?

reefman225gal

Just to add. It's also a good idea to have empty shells that are bigger then the hermits current shells so then can change shells as they grow. If not they will seek out snails or other hermits to attack for their shells.

They'll kill things anyway. I have a pair of blue legs in my sump right now that killed six nassarius in two days. They're crazy, no exaggeration either. Are they molts or not dixie?

Oh and right on BK, I just wish the party had more power.... Maybe some day...

so in three weeks you will have none? start checking parameters something is wrong. Hermits don't normally kill each other that fast, even in denser populations in more confined quaters. Also which species are you keeping?

I am leaning toward BK on this one.

koshmar's right...i have one blue legged crab and he's a straight thug. i've watched him stalk and kill one regular hermit and he's killed at least 6-7 others out of like 12-15. and they're not molts either. unless they're molting their shells, bodies, and souls too...

Archived