SaltCritters.com

What does Stronium do for your Coralline/Corals

Jahkaya

I've read a few posts on RC about this an I am wondering what NR's Opinions are on this. I have yet to buy a Stronium Test kit, so I have yet to dose. Is Dosing Strontium that Crucial for coralline development. It is really needed so long as it is replaced with water changes? What are the effects it has on Coral.

Maybe I should just buy a test kit, read more at advanced aquarist and start posting in the begginers forum. Thought I'd post here anyway.

i was always under the impression/belief that strontium occupied a similar niche in biosystems as calcium (i.e. skeletal structure), especially in stonys. that may be old school tho.

i can point to almost everything else and define a role or presence in the biomass but with strontium? ??? i still dose tho, probably out of habit. X) i've never noticed a correlation between coralline and Sr whereas i have noticed effects from various levels of Ca, Mg, alk, and constant pH (i.e. rdp or 24/7 fuge).

i don't think holmes-farley has an article on strontium yet. he'd be a good definitive answer or maybe a marine physiologist.

Thanks. I'll do a search on Holmes-farley. I would like ot know whether it is a waste of time, money and effort, or if it is just as important as calcium. I know all trace elements are important, just some more than others.

Originally posted by tinyreef

i was always under the impression/belief that strontium occupied a similar niche in biosystems as calcium (i.e. skeletal structure), especially in stonys.  

It is also by animals with exoskeltetons and shells (snails, crabs.etc)

it actualy is a very important part for titration in calcium test kits.

if your Strontnium is off, chances are you calcium is too ;)

I don't ad it, but using a superior salt brand or a CA reactor with aragonite in it will supply the proper dosages ;)

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

I don't ad it, but using a superior salt brand or a CA reactor with aragonite in it will supply the proper dosages ;)

Would Instant Ocean be considered a superior salt?

I have a strontium (Salifert) test kit for my 10g tank. It is nice because part of the testing gives you a calcium reading, saves a test. However, the test isn't very accurate. I got a reading of 4 (mg/L?) and the accuracy is +/- 5. Oh well.

If you dose B-ionic there is some strontium in there...

Yeah... there can be some side effects of going to a better salt. Chances are that once a higher grade of ingreedients are added, and it " Enrichens" the waters, an algal / bacterial outbreak will occour, aswell as some corals not particularly likeing it initialy. It's kinda like geing sustained on Porrige & water all yer life, and then given a diet change to a phat steak with potatos and gravy and washing it down with a beer.

KINGS DISEASE ;)

it subsides once they are used to it again.

Slow and steady changes are better than a big rush to OMG HAVE TO CHANGE LEIK SUPAHH QUIEEKLAH !! get all the waters switched over.

Chances are you will see some Cyano come and go. It's about all I had happenthat was "negetive", as well as an occasional polyp shrivel away (they usualy come back ;) )

Archived