SaltCritters.com

AquaScaping

Small Reefer

I'm just wondering how some of you get you're rocks to look so nice with little nooks and holes through them? Did you poke the holes yourself or did you find rocks that has holes in them? All I have is 2 chunks of rocks no place for fish to swim through.

I just bought a bunch of small to medium sized rocks and slowly designed my aquascaping. If I had any rocks that were to big, I just took a hammer and BAM, broke it up to smaller pieces. I don't know how big your two chunks of rocks are but if they were pretty big, I'd personally break them up..

I just took a hammer and BAM, broke it up to smaller pieces.
outside the tank, of course.

on the ground

watch out for splash back

don't think about the oozing slimy creatures lying in wait inside

::mental image of Alien egg sac::

good luck!

Originally posted by Small Reefer

True that! True that!

Doesn't whacking it with a hammer just cause it to shatter. It doesn't create intricate holes (coves).

That's the point.. you break the rock with a hammer so that it will form smaller pieces so you can stack them on top of one another to create small nooks and crannies..

Unless you're talking about rocks that already have nooks and holes in them already.. in which case, you'd have to go to your LFS and pick through their live rock to find pieces like that.. you don't make the holes yourself. (That I'm aware of..)

Originally posted by Small Reefer

True that! True that!

Doesn't whacking it with a hammer just cause it to shatter. It doesn't create intricate holes (coves).

Depends how skillfull you are with a hammer and chisel:D. Sometimes I've drilled holes in rocks to manipulate how they split...works pretty well (usually) :P

Cameron

Alright I'll have to see what happens. Thanks mucho.

Oh another question why do people like to have coraline cover all over the glass of their tanks doesn't that just hinder the view? Some tanks are clear and others have all this purple stuff all over.

Archived