Coral Vue Hydros

where do you get the macro algae for the fuge?

okinamgagoka

I just finished converting an Aquaclear 300 into a fuge. I have placed LS and a couple of frags in it but am wondering where do you get the macro algae to start? Do you just wait for that stuff to grow? I've read in one of the threads that you can purchase a detrivore starter kit or something. Is there any other alternative to this? Thanks.

many of the ols suppliers have a separate algae section in their livestock.

seacrop.com

liveaquaria.com

and so on

most recently i received a freebie chaetomorpha clump from logical reef (thanx again!).

racemosa caulerpa is my pers pref but red macro is very pretty. i believe there's a red variant of grape. if it's for nutrient export i'd say go for the grape. if it's for 'pod growth the chaetomorpha may be better.

Check out ipsf.com too... I just bought some from them... kinda pricey though as everything always adds up! They have a 9 items for $99 special. You can get Tang Heaven green, red, yellow, long feathered caulerpa, short feathered caulerpa, etc. Very cool.

-Elation =)

Quick and easy Macro Algae....

eBAY

all kinds all amounts....type "macro algae" in the search....

Just got 2 pounds last week......

pods will exist in sand, glass, etc. but something about macro seems to really make them feel at home and cause their populations to soar. In my large fuge (45gallons) that I run on my 60cube, I must have so many millions with all the macro in there because the 10 fish in the reef havent been fed in over 6 months, yet they are all superfat. My clownfish is sooo fat (can you sense the joke coming on yet?)...

"How fat is he wetworx?"

Hes sooooo fat he doesnt hang-out in his anemonae...he hangs around it. No seriously, hes so fat that he just lays in it until the anemonae gets tired of being sat in and pushes him out. Then he just lies next to it on the rock wondering what happened. He couldnt even protect the anemonae if he had to...lazy fat ######. The clown goby in there looks about ready to explode as well.

My recomendations on fuges are as follows:

1. Get a few different types. nothing sucks more than when a macro goes sexual. Even though this can be prevented by frequent pruning and 24/7 lighting, it will happen sooner or later, and when it does, having a whole fuge full of it will mean your tank turns to pea soup. Having different types in the fuge will mean only one or two species goes sexual...no big deal because you still have the rest and most likely only a little bit went sexual.

2. Use 24/7 lighting. It prevents the light triggered sexual response, as well as prevents the reverse cycle that happens when the chloro goes reverse and releases CO2 all night...not oxygen...lowering pH, choking the critters, etc. It also means you are getting much more filtration since the macro only works when the lights are on.

3. Some people like it, but most caleurpa arent the best for fuges. They go sexual easy. Then there are the calcium loving macros. halmedia, cup, etc. they will compete with stonys (if you have them) for calcium...not good because they usually win...unless you have enough calcium to go around...sheaaaah.

I prefer grassilaria. It is usually just a ball, and best kept like that...if possible in a suspended spinning ball in the fuge for highest efficiency. It will almost never go sexual, is very very effective for pod propigating and nitrate removal...but wont compete with other organisms.

4. prune every week, day, hour...as much as you can. it prevents sexual propigation and keeps toxins from building up in the tank. Many macros will absorb toxins in the reef...so dont feed them to the fish when you prune...unless you are sure. BTW, grassilaria is a fav tang and fish macro.

5. Keep the flow high. Fuges should have 10x their volume in circulation for maximum effectiveness.

you can meet me at atlantis aquarium in fremont either monday or tuesday, or aquatic gallery in milpitas on one of those days. BTW, I'm from san jose.

cool. i live just around the block from atlantis aquarium. what time will you be there? I get out of work at 2:30 everyday and usuall get home by 3:30pm. Thanks!

Archived