Cultivated Reef

Question for those with Tunze 9002 and Chaeto in BC29

stardrop

Just installed my Tunze 9002 in my BC 29 and it's going good so far. Originally I had nothing in the 1st chamber, LF rubble and Chaeto in the 2nd chamber and the pump and heater in the 3rd chamber.

Now I've installed the 9002 in the 2nd chamber, up against the wall between the 2nd and 3rd chambers. I can't obviously keep the chaeto and LR rubble in that chamber so I moved some of it to the 1st.

The water flow keeps trying to bring the chaeto over the wall to the 2nd chamber.

Solutions??

I have the same set up, you can check my link. I got a Media Rack from StevieT and it works like a charm. In the second chanber i have my Tunze, and in the space next to the 1st chamber, thats where i placed the Media Rack. In the rack i have some carbon, chaeto, etc

I am currently in the process of a new mod where I am widening chamber 1 so that my Tunze can go there. Then I will have chamber 2 for chaeto, poly filter, chemi-pure, etc. I mostly wanted to do this so I wouldn't have to worry about the water level with the skimmer. This way it will always have the correct water level.

I am currently in the process of a new mod where I am widening chamber 1 so that my Tunze can go there. Then I will have chamber 2 for chaeto, poly filter, chemi-pure, etc. I mostly wanted to do this so I wouldn't have to worry about the water level with the skimmer. This way it will always have the correct water level.

Hold the phone, don't widen it yet, what tank do you have, do you have a BC 29g?

I am not sure what you mean by the bulkhead.

I am adding another wall the same height as the 1st wall but just toward the middle by another inch and a half so the Tunze will fit. Then I will cut out the original wall.

-AJ

Have fun, that seems like a lot of work, but tell me how it turns out. The only problem i can see with that is that it might affect your surface skim?.....Maybe, but not sure. It would be nice to have the 2nd chamber full of cheato etc, and not just sharing the space with the tunze

wall=bulkhead

Yeah, it shouldn't effect the surface skim at all since it is basically the same wall as the first wall, just moved over a bit.

I'll be posting pics when I complete it. Just need to test that the silicone is water tight tonight then I will proceed with removing the first wall.

-AJ

p.s. sorry for the thread-jack

If you place your skimmer in chamber 1, I would suggest you make it a consideration in your mod that you will be able to easily remove/drop in the skimmer. You will most likely need to take the skimmer apart more frequently to clean the intake on the pump. One of the advantages of having the skimmer in chamber 2 is you are able to pre-filter some of the larger waste particles before it gets to the skimmer.

I would just get the media rack from Stevie T. This way your not hacking the crap out of your cube. What if you want to sell it later on that could put a huge damper on the sale. Plus the media racks are pretty;)

I would just get the media rack from Stevie T. This way your not hacking the crap out of your cube. What if you want to sell it later on that could put a huge damper on the sale. Plus the media racks are pretty;)

I would agree. I am using the Tunze and inTank media basket and it is clean looking and works well. I agree that constant water level is needed for the skimmer, but daily top-offs is needed one way or another to keep your SG stable. I haven't found it to be a big deal to top off to the water line on the skimmer.

Get the media basket...and tell Steve that Krug and mkregs sent you :)

i will be going the same route with steve's media basket. i just ordered one today and im also waiting on my tunze 9002. how did you guys setup the media basket? i mean its got 3 shelves right.....how di you guys stacked it??? pics will be really nice...thanks!

i will be going the same route with steve's media basket. i just ordered one today and im also waiting on my tunze 9002. how did you guys setup the media basket? i mean its got 3 shelves right.....how di you guys stacked it??? pics will be really nice...thanks!

I have some picks on my thread with the media basket and Tunze installed (although I am not an authorized advertizing agent for inTank or any of its' subsidiaries :) ). You may want to check with Steve for the official product information and recommended use. Basically, I have floss on the top and I dropped a bag of Chemipure on the bottom rack. I think some people are using Chemipure Elite, but I already have a bag of PURA PhosLock in chamber 3, so I just went with the regular Chemipure. I was thinking of adding macroalgae in the rack as well, but haven't decided that I want to go that route yet. I may try to rig something up to hold macroalgae in chamber 1.

There's a link to my thread in my signature below.

Did you guys still have to do some mod to chamber 2 to fit the skimmer cUP?

If you use the skimmer cup that comes with the Tunze, you will have to get the dremmel out. I took the easy way out and bought a skimmer cup that will fit with no tank mods or clearance issues. If you check out mediabaskets.com, you will see that skimmer cup there.

hey guys...i just installed today Steve's In-Tank media basket. first of all this product is really top notch...it was packaged very nice and was well shipped....fast shipping too. nice work Steve!!!

the way i had mine set up was i just put chaeto in both middle and bottom rack along with InTank's submersible light. im thinking of adding "Phoslock" in the top rack later on. this thing was really designed nice and fits perfectly with my tunze along side it. check out a few pics that i took after the install....

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

hey guys...i just installed today Steve's In-Tank media basket. first of all this product is really top notch...it was packaged very nice and was well shipped....fast shipping too. nice work Steve!!!

the way i had mine set up was i just put chaeto in both middle and bottom rack along with InTank's submersible light. im thinking of adding "Phoslock" in the top rack later on. this thing was really designed nice and fits perfectly with my tunze along side it. check out a few pics that i took after the install....

Looks good! I use PhosLock and have a bag in chamber 3. I just hang it over the chamber2/chamber3 wall, so the bag doesn't get near the intake of the return pump...That would be an option for you as well.

IMO...if you are going to add anything to the media rack, you might want to consider Chemi Pure Elite. If you do that, PhosLock really wouldn't be needed.

Archived