Cultivated Reef

How do I start a Nano-reef

divingtigger

I am as new as new can be to nano reefs. I have seen pics posted on other sites and am interested in having my own. I am an avid scuba diver and would love to be able to experience reefs everytime I'm at home. Not planning on having any more fish than absoloutely needed. How do I get started?? How do I build/setup a tank?? Tried to search for info but if anyone has a link I would appreciate it or you can respond here with everything I need to know on getting started.

Thanks

Rob

Tank

Heater

HOB filter (optional)

Salt

Test Kits

Lights

powerhead/pump

Live Rock(1-2lbs per gallon)

Live Sand(1-2lbs per gallon)

Thermometer

Hydrometer

Timer for lights(optional)

Surge Protector

Alge Magnet(optional)

Do you have a tank size in mind yet? The rest of the supplies generally depend on the size of your tank. You'll need good lighting if you plan to keep corals, a powerhead or two depending on tank size, some people use HOB (hang on back) filters, heater, test kits.

Originally posted by Jahkaya

It is always best to revolve your tank and equipment around your live stock.  What do you plan on keeping?

Dear Jahkaya,

Like on a Lazy Susan?

Signed,

N00bReefer

I was only planning on coral. I understand that I will have to keep some livestock, just not a major reason why I'd like a Nano reef. I guess some hermit crabs, some snails, or whatever else I'd need to maintain the reef

Archived