ReefCleaners.org

Protein Skimmer Q

mad_cat09

Hello All

I just have a question regarding protein skimmers. At the moment i'm running a Jebo R362 tank that has stock filter with it. I'm very close to putting some corals into my tank and as yet do not have a protein skimmer. What I was wondering is it possible in a tank of only 30 gallons to just run the skimmer and get rid of the filter? I have ample amount of rock in the tank aswell.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

you CAN run it without the filter, but the filter will help with floating debris and help "floss" the water. you dont need to run a protein skimmer in a 30gal tank. weekly water changes is just as effective.

you might want to put a powerhead or 2 in the tank because the skimmer will not provide enough flow

Hey

Thanks for the quick reply.

At the moment i've got a water circulator that seems to provide adequate flow and I do 20L water changes weekly. Good news to hear that you don't think I need a protein skimmer as that does save me a bit of money I can put toward something else.

as long as you keep up with water changes, a protein skimmer is not totally necessary, yet it will aid in reducing nitrates significantly. This is especially important if you plan to keep say sps corals or clams.

Archived