Pod Your Reef

recommended lighting schedule when using moonlight?

kertong

Hi everyone,

I have a 10 gallon tank with an eclipse one hood. I've retrofitted the customsealife's 32watt 10000K/ultra actinic kit to it.

Now, I know some actinics are false actinics, and only give out a blue color, while not really activating and providing true actinic light to the corals. The csl 32watt light claims it is ultra actinic and peaks at 460nm - is this all it needs to be a true, real actinic that will flouresce my corals? The reason I ask is because when I had an older tank (a 30gallon with 96watts of PCs.. 50/50 10kdaytime and actinic), my pearl white bubble coral turned into a pinkish/dull brown color over time. Is this because the actinic bulbs were cheap?

Sorry for that long wordy question. My other question is - with a 32watt 10000K/ultra actinic light, and the 1watt blue LED moonlight setup from absolutC here, what would you guys recommend as the lighting schedule? I can't turn on the 10000K and actinics seperatley....

would you guys recommend leaving the moonlight on 24hours a day to flouresce the corals, and turn on the PCs from say, 10am-6pm? Or, should I keep the moonlight LED off while the PCs are on?

btw, I plan on keeping some ricordea, gorgonia, maybe an open brain, and a bubble tip anemone, if that helps...

Sorry for the long and wordy post, but answers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading. :)

Hook the moonlight up to one of those digital timers, like the one they sell at hellolights.com. That way you can program it to randomly turn on throughout the week. Catherine Bell has got a nice pair of melons......

Archived