Cultivated Reef

Cheap Vortech MP20 rip off?

WhiteShark

Yeah I'm not sure if they know how to describe the thing correctly...lol...But if you are able to set up the pulses so that they can mimic a wave motion the thing is "supposed" to put out 3,300 gph (max). I was toying with the idea of getting a vortech but there is no way I'm gonna spend $300.00+ on a power head (even if it is that nice). I would consider this thing though...If it were to work.

bonsaidarrell

I'd say it was more of a Tunze rip off. One of the big advantages of the VorTech is that the motor is outside of the tank, which results in less heat transfer. This appears to have the motor submersed.

Assuming it is reliable, it does appear to be a good value, though.

I'd say it was more of a Tunze rip off. One of the big advantages of the VorTech is that the motor is outside of the tank, which results in less heat transfer. This appears to have the motor submersed.

Assuming it is reliable, it does appear to be a good value, though.

Yeah I already have 2 power heads submersed in my tank as is. If I were to put this thing in I'd take out those 2 power heads so I figure the heat issue wouldn't be more than what I already have.

If you look at one of the pictures close up it appears to have a 120V plug that is just not grounded...An investment in a GFCI may be a good idea on that note.

I just ordered 3.

Yeah not really. If I had $100 laying around I would try it though.

I love my Vortech MP20 worth every penny. Not to say that that pump would be bad but when it comes to the cheap asian pumps like that the old saying "you get what you pay for" seams to apply in most cases. Even if the pump works perfectly if something stupid like the magnet mount or prop breaks how are you going to replace the part or do you have to spend another $60 + shipping for a new pump?

Obviously you don't know what a Vortech is/seen one in action.

</thread>

Oh, I've seen them work and they look awesome...Still not gonna spend $300.00 on it though...lol

Now if someone wants to sell me a used one for around $150.00 then we can talk...haha

Oh, I've seen them work and they look awesome...Still not gonna spend $300.00 on it though...lol

Now if someone wants to sell me a used one for around $150.00 then we can talk...haha

^^ that

I am with you...$300 for 1 freaking powerhead..I dont care how good it is..its just a powerhead

I am with you...$300 for 1 freaking powerhead..I dont care how good it is..its just a powerhead

Exactly...I mean I want my fish to be happy but I'm not gonna shell out that kinda money for just a wave effect when I can put 2 or 3 powerheads in there and accomplish a similar effect for 1/2 the price.

Shoot Me_I Explode

From the ebay page.

All of our products come with 3 month warranty.

Ya, you get a 3 month warranty plus paying shipping from China should anything go wrong with the pump. After that you’re on your own.

I have two Vortech’s and love them. Your not just paying for the Vortech’s, your also paying for the customer support and service Ecotech provides.

I did not give it a second though paying for my Vortech’s knowing Ecotech is there to take my phone calls should anything go wrong or whose employees browse the reefcentral forums daily answering questions.

In the end you get what you pay for.

If you have a 75 gallon tank you would not be spending 300 on the MP20 because it will be too small, you would need to pay the cost of the MP40 for a tank that size.

If you have a 75 gallon tank you would not be spending 300 on the MP20 because it will be too small, you would need to pay the cost of the MP40 for a tank that size.

If Calvins 12 footer (135gallon I believe) uses an MP20 (and it performs well in his tank), I think it'll be fine for my 75....lol

Plus the MP20 is slated for 70 gallon...I doubt 5 extra gallons will do much of a difference...

Still not paying $300.00 for a powerhead though...lol

Archived