Top Shelf Aquatics

old ph buffer

IMaNoob

i have an old bottle probably 3-4 yrs old. i dont see an expiration date on it. is is ok you use? also my ph is coming out to 7.4, but i have read that api can be off. should i get something to raise ph? also i did the test about 6 pm, and lights come on about 2:30pm

my professor gave me an old pH test kit. This thing is YEARS old. For ######s and giggles i tested it, and it read exactly what my new API test kit read.

The Propagator

Please do not use that as a measure to judge all.

That is a rare case and is not an example or rule to follow for other test kits.

They all do go bad after a year or so that are made for the aquarium trade.

Even the high end top dollar kits.

ImaNoob,

I would not use that buffer.

PH buffer is pretty cheap dude. I would just pick up another bottle.

You also need to find out what is causing you low PH because the buffer only fixes the symptoms not the root problem that will make it reoccurring.

Can you use ordinary Baking soda to buffer PH?

In a freshwater, brackish, or FOWLR you can just just baking soda. Look at the bottles in the lfs or even online that are for the previous tanks listed. The only thing in them in sodium bicarbonate-- baking soda. Its cheap in the lfs but baking soda is even cheaper.

If you have a reef tank dont take a chance. "Reef buffer" has other stuff in it. I am not sure about its chemistry and might have a lower alkalinity then baking soda. For $4 it is soooooo not worth the risk.

The Propagator

Its actually more harsh on our reefs then using baking soda.

;)

Baking soda when used correctly is absolutely fine to use.

Archived