Top Shelf Aquatics

Tunze 9002 skimmer loud

CubiX

Hi guys! New to this forum :)

I've had a Tunze 9002 for about a month now, and I really like it's performance. However it is louder than I expected. Now, this is my first tank and my first skimmer, so I don't have any standards to compare it to. But I've read it's supposed to be a relatively quiet skimmer. The tank is located in the room I sleep in, and while I can sleep, it can sometimes wake me up at night or be bothersome when I go to sleep. The tank is 4 meters (13 feet) away from my head at night.

Am I expecting too much?

:welcome:

Describe the noise. Is it gurglling? The Tunze is an extremely quiet skimmer, so much so that you shouldn't hear it much. You may have a bad unit, if so contact Tunze about the problem.

Yes, it's gurgling. Even on the lowest settings.

It's a lot like when I'm hatching brine shrimp in a bottle. Which I guess make sense, cause they're both bubbling :)

This skimmer will gruggle after adjustment, service or if you remove the cup.

But it should go away very shortly. Have you taken apart the skimmer to make sure all hoses are connect correctly? Is it at the proper water level marked by the line on the body?

It's at the proper water level. And my Tunze Osmolator makes sure it always stays there. <-- huge Tunze fan :D

But it's true that I haven't taken it apart yet. I will do that tomorrow. Thx. Should I look for anything in particular?

It is a pretty simple design. There are only a few hoses to check over. Make sure the one on the pump is tight and the one that controls the air level is tight as well.

-info50.1.jpg

Propper water level for the 9002 is 1/2" below the indicated water line on the skimmer ... this will make it skim better and be more quiet , this comes directly from Roger at Tunze ...

LOL.. What they meant is Stevie makes custom collection cups for different setups as the cup rarely fits without chopping up the hood or doing away with the hood on the AIO.

LOL.. What they meant is Stevie makes custom collection cups for different setups as the cup rarely fits without chopping up the hood or doing away with the hood on the AIO.

Ah :) Like I said, new here :)

Hi there, I am new to saltwater and reefing, so be gentle! :-) I have a 20 gallon long that I set up this past saturday and I've been shopping around for a protein skimmer to fit my tank (height 12").

I was looking at this skimmer model DOC 9002 Nano Protein Skimmer by Tunze and the Remora but I just read another thread where most loved the Remora but some hated it. Is this Tunze unit a good one?

Also in reading the product description it says, "On account of the high demands in stone coral aquariums, this skimmer should be used only in aquariums with about 100 litres (26 US gal.) of water. Mixed aquariums or soft coral aquariums up to 200 litres (52 US gal.) can be set up without any problems." sorry if this sounds stupid but what does that mean I should not use this on my 20g?

Thank you.. :-)

:welcome:

You could use the 9002 if you have the water height for it. It is a great quiet skimmer. I have owned both the 9002 and the Remora. They both perform very well, the 9002 is much quiter due to the Remora's injection design to foam water.

Technically you do not need a skimmer on a tank that small. It will help but with weekly water changes you can get by just fine without one.

Thank you for the welcome! I have read many articles to skim or not to skim, a bit confusing and of course the guy at the LFS says I need one, but geesh not with their markup. Right now I have 30lbs live Figi rock and an AquaClear 50 (200gph)with 2 foam sponges and carbon, is that enough though?

LFS's relate nanos to large reefs, which are completely different. You do not need a skimmer on a small tank, but I do run one and it is helpful.

Yes, your filtration sounds fine. Junk the sponge and use filter floss, Replace with new stuff when it clogs up

OK. I've opened up the skimmer. Everything was connected just fine. I cleaned it up and put it back in. This time I placed it 1/2" higher than indicated, like Dakota569 suggested.

It's 'recuring' now, but it still seems loud. I'll see how loud it's gonna be at night, when everything else is quiet.

My 9002 makes a white noise foaming sound. It is not not loud or annoying, but I can hear it @ 12' (from my bed). Louder than my eheim 1250 (which is also supposed to be "silent").

So the gurgling is pretty much gone. I can still hear the skimmer at night, but it's not so annoying any more. Now it's mostly the humming of the pump.

I'm not sure if disassembling and reassembling helped or if it was the change in water level. Maybe both.

Archived