ReefCleaners.org

GHA

acast77

My tank is about 3 months old now. The GHA and brown algae are starting to take off and boy am I getting angry. I can't figure out what the source is. I took out my biowheel filter thinking the biowheel is holding nitrates/phosphates. Turned the old filter into a hang on fuge. I heard RO water from a stand is a no no. I did this for the first 2 months. I now get my RO/DI from the LFS. I'm still having a problem. Im using a150watt MH on the tank, running about 8 hours a day then, moonlights after that. I know lights is one of the main sources and was wondering if the moonlights are contributing to my problem?

Any suggestions?

Well someone correct me if I'm wrong. It could be a number of reasons from what I've heard/read about. Biowheels could have been it, if you're using floss, that could be another source if there's buildup. The RO water you got probablty wasn't RO water to begin iwth. Measure it with a TDS meter.

Maybe decrease your light cycle, get a CUC if you dont' already have one or one more capable. But again, I would think it's a factory somewhere in the system. More flow helps as well.

Edit: My boyfriend used to have metal halides in his tank, and he had GHA trouble as well. Never knew what it was from, maybe he used tap water at one point lolz. But ever since he used T5's there hasn't been any issues ever with GHA, maybe it's the light? Old bulb?

Well someone correct me if I'm wrong. It could be a number of reasons from what I've heard/read about. Biowheels could have been it, if you're using floss, that could be another source if there's buildup. The RO water you got probablty wasn't RO water to begin iwth. Measure it with a TDS meter.

Maybe decrease your light cycle, get a CUC if you dont' already have one or one more capable. But again, I would think it's a factory somewhere in the system. More flow helps as well.

Edit: My boyfriend used to have metal halides in his tank, and he had GHA trouble as well. Never knew what it was from, maybe he used tap water at one point lolz. But ever since he used T5's there hasn't been any issues ever with GHA, maybe it's the light? Old bulb?

What is CUC? I was thinking it was the water. I do not have a TDS meter, but am confident that my LFS is pretty up to date with filter changes and what not. Maybe it's my bulb. I bought the light from another reef keeper and he told me the bulb was only 2 months old. Who knows, he could of just said that to make the sell faster.

The biowheel that was on it was from the same filter I used when my tank was a fresh water one. I took the biowheel about 5 days ago, so maybe I should just be patient. One thing I don't really have with this hobby, but I know it's the "Golden Rule"

CUC is a clean up crew consisting of herbivores that eat the stuff that we don't liek to see. Snails, hermits, crabs, etc.

Oh okay. Still trying to learn the acronyms and lingo. I have 3 snails, many brittle stars and a peppermint shrimp.

Oh okay. Still trying to learn the acronyms and lingo. I have 3 snails, many brittle stars and a peppermint shrimp.

Hermits cleaned mine up.

Babyham6 is right. It could me a number of things. Have you tested your water? for phosphates?

Your light schedule is fine. The age and K rating of the bulb could have a impact on the growth of the algae. Most likely your LFS RO water is contaminated with something like phosphates.

Also high nutrient levels in the tank due to lack of Water Changes and low/non-existent CUC.

Need to know a little more about your tank. Stocking, equipment used, filtration stuff, feeding schedule, what you feed.

Some things you could try:

1. Test water parameters. Phosphate, and the big 4 (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

2. Run a skimmer

3. Weekly water changes 20%

4. Reduce feeding.

5. Increase CUC count

6. pull as much as you can to give CUC a chance.

7. Replace MH bulb.

Babyham6 is right. It could me a number of things. Have you tested your water? for phosphates?

Your light schedule is fine. The age and K rating of the bulb could have a impact on the growth of the algae. Most likely your LFS RO water is contaminated with something like phosphates.

Also high nutrient levels in the tank due to lack of Water Changes and low/non-existent CUC.

Need to know a little more about your tank. Stocking, equipment used, filtration stuff, feeding schedule, what you feed.

Some things you could try:

1. Test water parameters. Phosphate, and the big 4 (ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

2. Run a skimmer

3. Weekly water changes 20%

4. Reduce feeding.

5. Increase CUC count

6. pull as much as you can to give CUC a chance.

7. Replace MH bulb.

My params are fine, except I don't have a phosphate tester. I do not have a skimmer either, but am working on it. As far as water changes go, I do them religiously on the weekends, haven't missed one. Since I only have 1 clown and 1 chromis, I don't feed much at all. So replacing the bulb will work, you think? I really can't tell that it's losing PAR at all or anything, but then again, I'm no expert.

This past weekend, I did pull some of the rock out and scrubbed it off with a toothbrush. The snails I have spend more time on the glass than anything, and my glass looks fine.

It is not the loss of PAR but the K rating of the bulb shifts into the green spectrum. Growing GHA. I had a 14k go bad on me when it shifted color and in combination to my RO filters crapped out, BAM GHA. Changed the RO/DI filters and still had it growing. Changed the bulb and it slowed down. Lastly I discovered a coral was dying/dead and removed it. Since then no more GHA.

What do you feed? If it is frozen foods you have to thaw them and rinse them good in RO water. Most if not all frozen foods contain phosphate in the water they are frozen in.

It is not the loss of PAR but the K rating of the bulb shifts into the green spectrum. Growing GHA. I had a 14k go bad on me when it shifted color and in combination to my RO filters crapped out, BAM GHA. Changed the RO/DI filters and still had it growing. Changed the bulb and it slowed down. Lastly I discovered a coral was dying/dead and removed it. Since then no more GHA.

What do you feed? If it is frozen foods you have to thaw them and rinse them good in RO water. Most if not all frozen foods contain phosphate in the water they are frozen in.

I just feed flake food, not much. I have a NEM and feed it frozen shrimp, but I do thaw it out before I do. The clown pics up any frozen shrimp that gets away from the NEM. I will be looking into a new bulb. I also have a phoenix 14k bulb right now.

Well you're at a disadvantage just because the system was handed over from a previous owner. If it's a 20 high then I wouold guess there's an over flow? And if there's a over flow, that's another place the wastes could be building up right? I'm just guessing (I read a lot and I don't even have my own tank lolz).

I think the more effective thing to do in terms of spending money is to get your own RO/DI unit. In the long run, you'll save more money. You also know your own water is good. In your situation, a replacement bulb can be not hte issue and would be a waste of 70 bucks and a 200 buck investment of an RO/DI is more suited. Just my opinion.

Oh yea, and rip out the stuff manually. I can imagine it will suck but it helps. I heard 1 CUC per gallon is about right? Unless they're bigger, like mexican turbos.

Well you're at a disadvantage just because the system was handed over from a previous owner. If it's a 20 high then I wouold guess there's an over flow? And if there's a over flow, that's another place the wastes could be building up right? I'm just guessing (I read a lot and I don't even have my own tank lolz).

I think the more effective thing to do in terms of spending money is to get your own RO/DI unit. In the long run, you'll save more money. You also know your own water is good. In your situation, a replacement bulb can be not hte issue and would be a waste of 70 bucks and a 200 buck investment of an RO/DI is more suited. Just my opinion.

Oh yea, and rip out the stuff manually. I can imagine it will suck but it helps. I heard 1 CUC per gallon is about right? Unless they're bigger, like mexican turbos.

I don't have an overflow at the moment. Just my penguin filter that I changed into a fuge. I will be getting a skimmer soon. Thanks for all the advice. My own RO/DI until would be awesome, but something I'd have to budget for.

How many hermits? I have a 20 gallon high.

I'm still a noob at this.. So please don't just listen to me.. but I have a 15g high.. I have 10 hermits in there. They are tiny ones. I figured when they get bigger I'll give some to the neighbor who has a 110g. I went out and bought a new light tonight. My bulb was older and I replaced the cartridge in my filter. Worked wonders!!! The light has slowed down the growth, the hermits have cleaned my rocks and sand and the filter has helped with the clarity of the water.

Someone told me to NOT use tap water because that can cause problems with algae. So bottled water for me now too.

Please take the advice of the others who are much wiser then I when it comes to saltwater tanks.

Archived