Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PH PLEASE HELP!

Sh55

My PH is fluctuating quite a bit from morning to evening, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or how to solve this problem?? It moves from 8.03 ish to 8.35 ish over the course of a day.

Here are some key factors:

Alk: 10.5 Dhk

Ca : 420ppm

Salinity: .025

Nitrates: less than 1

Phosphates: less than 1

My Alkalinity used to be at 8 but I was told to bump it up to stabilize my Ph but it hasn't changed a thing.

I have a Cadlights 39G signature series tank. I replaced the crummy refugium light that came with it with a Ottlight fluorescent and a custom PVC fixture. I run the Halide with ascinics on for 7 hours and then I run the refugium light the whole time the main lights are off (which I also thought would stabilize Ph).

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong! I'm afraid the Ph movement is causing algae blooms and could cause specimen death :(.

Thank you in advance,

Dave

That's not an unreasonable swing by any means.

If you wanted to counteract the nighttime pH dip then increased aeration, nighttime dosing of kalkwasser, and/or a reverse day cycle refugium will all help.

I'm going to try running my skimmer airline to the window in hopes to increase aeration. I already have a fuge on reverse day cycle with chaeto. I guess this fluctuation isn't as major as I thought, but guy at the lfs seemed to think it could be the culprit for algae blooms.

I'm going to try running my skimmer airline to the window in hopes to increase aeration. I already have a fuge on reverse day cycle with chaeto. I guess this fluctuation isn't as major as I thought, but guy at the lfs seemed to think it could be the culprit for algae blooms.

I've heard lots of silly claims for algae bloom culprits, but that's a first.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php#6

Archived