Cultivated Reef

Repairing 29 Gallon Tank rim - will it break and ruin my floor?

bluelair

Hi,

I have a 29 gallon standard glass tank with a hairline crack directly at the center of the top plastic rim. My question is, is this worth repairing, if so how, or should I just leave it. It's a glass tank with the standard plastic rim. The plastic at the top has a crack along the front that is maybe 1/2 mm wide, and it's only on the plastic that's outside the tank.

When I look at it from a side view, I can see the top of the glass is bowing out, ever so slightly (so little that it's not detectable unless you view it directly from the side. This would appear to be normal flex for a piece of glass, but now it's broken its plastic, I don't want water all over my floor.

Would you just leave it alone? The tank was cycling and has no LS in it, so now would be the time if I was going to do something. I was thinking of lowering the water, letting the front go back into place and epoxying a piece of flat plastic pvc to patch where the plastic started to separate.

I'm not going to say that it won't break.......but......I had a 29 as a planted FW tank a few years back. It did the same thing you described and I used it for over 2 years like that. With that said.....

You may want to consider waiting for an opportunity to get another tank just to be safe. I wouldn't think twice about using it as a sump but it would be very disappointing to stock that joker with lots of nice coral just to come home and find them laying on the floor :angry: .....along with 29 gallons of saltwater. :o

like what they said, id rather get a replacement tank as it will bother you every time you look at the tank knowing that theres a crack on the trim. peace of mind is the key.

Archived