Innovative Marine Aquariums

aquatraders.com

nyfishguy

you know that old saying if it sounds or looks too good to be true it probably is??

well, what does everyone here think of aqua-traders.com?

i've heard a lot of mixed reviews about there products and in the spirit of doing as much research as possible before making a purchase.

is there MH lights any good? Or should i not waste my money??

opinions of ppl that have been doing this longer than I are always welcome

thanks everyone

There's alot of threads about this. SEARCH

Aquatraders has crappy customer service , what they sell is Odyssea equipment , and you can find that on ebay from other sellers who are easier to get intouch with than Aquatraders.

I ordered mine from Hombby , bc he responds to emails

Works rather well , it's very bright , though the MH ballast only pulls 186w the cfs only pull 68w.

DSCF1828.jpg

DSCF1925.jpg

I plan on doing Evil's mod to get more wattage from the MH ballast. If that's not enough I'll replace the ballast , cf+mh , one day. Also going to replace the bulbs but for now the stock bulbs are plenty.

But for $250 it's a good deal.

There's alot of threads about this. SEARCH

Aquatraders has crappy customer service , what they sell is Odyssea equipment , and you can find that on ebay from other sellers who are easier to get intouch with than Aquatraders.

I ordered mine from Hombby , bc he responds to emails

Works rather well , it's very bright , though the MH ballast only pulls 186w the cfs only pull 68w.

DSCF1828.jpg

DSCF1925.jpg

I plan on doing Evil's mod to get more wattage from the MH ballast. If that's not enough I'll replace the ballast , cf+mh , one day. Also going to replace the bulbs but for now the stock bulbs are plenty.

But for $250 it's a good deal.

what did you use to make your stand to hang it on? looks good

Bent EMT pipeing , I didn't have the money or tools to make a elaborate shelf to mount the light from , and I couldn't run it from the ceiling bc of my apartment.

So I tried something that I found here on NR.

DSCF1875.jpg

And when I need to get to the tank , I just pivot the bar out of the way.

DSCF1905.jpg

Bent EMT pipeing , I didn't have the money or tools to make a elaborate shelf to mount the light from , and I couldn't run it from the ceiling bc of my apartment.

So I tried something that I found here on NR.

DSCF1875.jpg

And when I need to get to the tank , I just pivot the bar out of the way.

DSCF1905.jpg

very nice....attached to the wall or back of stand?

OoOoOoOo...... bent emt pipe! never thought of that.

YAY!

OP:

fwiw, i also have the same fixture, however i do not have the original ballast & mine is in the 250w flavor.

works well, just havent hung the fixture yet.

If you do intend to get one of the units , remember than the ballast are underwattaged , sometimes so much that they won't fire other brand 250w bulbs. I don't know how mine will do , bc I only have the stock bulb. It maxes out around 186w. Evil66 has a mod to get more wattage out of the stock ballast. I plan on doing that , whenever my buddy with a soldering iron has time to help out.

For now the current stock config is plenty , but later I will probablly replace the ballasts (mh $120 , cf $50) and also the bulbs (mh $70 , cf $30/each).

That's alot of money , but in the end it still ends up being less than any known brands 250w + 2x96w compact fixtures. And with the modded Odyssea , you pick the ballasts and bulbs.

Should be plenty , I think it is overkill for my 45 , the 45 only being 12in wide. This fixture could probably light a tank twice that wide. Instead it lights up my living room.

There's a HUGE thread on rc forum , doesn't look huge bc they split a topic after 50 replies , but it has like 200+ pages , it's all about these odyssea units. Some ppl replaced the cf's with t5's. Some ppl run it stock , some ppl replaced everything inside the day they got it. Lots of comparison pics on there , before and afters.

You'll have to buy a tool from HD or Lowes called a EMT bender.

P4240003.jpg

The price depends on what size pipe you want to work with. There are 3 thicknesses to choose from 1/2 , 3/4 or 1" . A bender for 1/2 or 3/4 is ~$30-40 and a bender for 1" is $70. The pipe itself is cheap it comes in 10' lengths and is $3 for 1/2 , $5 for 3/4 and $8 for 1". So restarting is cheap.

Oh and if you are cheap , like me , you can return the bender after using it , only costing you the price of the pipe and mounting hardware. I had figured out how to use it by the second peice.

There are acouple of problems with using the pipes.

One problem with the emt piping is , the thicker the pipe , the further away bends have to be from each other. This is kind of hard to explain , but see the way I hung it from the back of the tank.

DSCF1853.jpg

I only had a small amount of space to get the two bends that I would need for the bar to go across the center of the length of the tank.

After putting two bends as close as I could , the bar was far from center , it was almost inline with the front pane of glass. To remedy that I bent the leg of the pipe away from the tank , pulling the bar back to the center of the tank.

DSCF1876.jpg

Another problem is , the way I did it , with only only pipe. The weight of the fixture pulls down on the unsupported end making it noticably bend , I do measurements occasionally and the bend isn't getting any greater so I'm not that worried about it , but if you are mounting anything longer than a 36" fixture I suggest 2 pipes , bent in simple L shapes going towards the front of the tank.

I got the idea from this thread.

IMO, fishneedit.com has decent items, within the same budget price range but without the huge quality issues.

Im gonna buy their 250 watt MH fixture, I'll kepp everybody updated.

Im gonna buy their 250 watt MH fixture, I'll kepp everybody updated.

Fishneedit , recently upgraded all the MH units to Electronic ballasts , should perform better than the old magnetic ballasts they use to sell.

Fishneedit , recently upgraded all the MH units to Electronic ballasts , should perform better than the old magnetic ballasts they use to sell.

i think the fixture is great looking and nice. my lfs has one stock over there sps tank and it looks nice. im getting one too 2x250w with 6 led and 2x96w floresents. you know what the great thing is. my dad is an electriction so he can get me the ballast for free lol or i can just buy them. income tax will do that for me lol get me the bulbs and the ballast :P

Yea i just noticed that, at first I was pretty hesitant about buying one with the magnetic ballast. Now that they have electronic I'll definately be picking one up!

Archived